Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: My first knife(inspired by Von Gruff)

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    With the saw blades, just make sure you use the ones that have teeth that are sharpened with a file and not one of the tungsten tipped blades. The big old heavy bench saw blades are good ones and even the old saw mill bandsaw blades. I made a few from portion of a 30ft bandsaw blade that had exploded in the sawmill when it hit a log dog embedded in the log. If you use part of one of those, make sure to place your pattern accross the blade rather than along the length of it as there is a slight curved set to the steel.
    The steel is good enough that it dosent really need heat treating to take a good edge and while it wont keep it as long as a HT blade but it will be a good starter blade and will be easy to sharpen.
    Hi there, great idea! I have however just purchased some new supplies at a bargain.. I've managed to attain some strips of a vehicles undercarriage spring steel..
    And some kiaat wood for my handles..

I have downloaded a few basic designs just to start messing around with beveling..etc, so all that needs to be done now, is cutting a piece, annealing, then by some luck cutting and shaping a blank..

I will keep posting as I go along

User

Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    Not bad 007. I'd say that looks pretty good, especially for a first knife. Time to upgrade the steel!

If you want the really fancy steel you can get N690 from Bohler.

Otherwise D2 will probably make some good blades too.
    Thank you! Yes I most definitely will try better steels in the future, for now I've just managed to get some spring steel(can't wait to begin) but yes.. Thank you

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Wow, thats not a bad looking blade!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Wow, thats not a bad looking blade!
    Haha thanks! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2