Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: New R4 unveiled

User

[QUOTE=Ghostrider;83388]

PS : For tank-crews, and for caliber, had the 6.8SPC been an option I think it would have made a viable choice, provided that you had a rifle with a folding-stock etc. That's another topic though, but interesting nonetheless! :)

ja , the 6.8 was never considered. but like you said then you have to go for a folding stock and boom there starts a new topic.

Blackwater hey? i my time the flavour of the month was a company by the nickname "Impressive Incomes"

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Ghoastrider...I respectfully disagree with the piston being the future of the AR platform. It is more costly, heavier, more complicated and with the exception...maybe...of the HK units...no more reliable. There is also no standardization with piston systems. I just bought another lower yesterday...it will not have a piston upper on it even though I could easily afford it. I have a friend with an LWRC and have fired the H&K...not impressed...sorry. I will stick with the tried and true DI system. It works and works well provided you use top tier parts.
    ikor : And that's okay to disagree brother. *s* Like I have stated here, the DI system does work and it is a pleasure to shoot once you get used to the feel of it and the lack of the pronounced recoil impulse (per se) of a piston rifle. As for me, I love my Colt 6940 but for ME it doesn't come close to the LWRCI - which would be my first choice. I like the benefits, the increased service-life, less lube required, the CHF barrel (three times the life of a standard barrel in general) and how clean they run - all of them are benefits to me. Having carried a laden SIG 552 and R5, these are much heavier systems than the piston-driven ARs, so for me, the piston ARs are still very light in weight, so my experience is different than yours.

Again, any DI AR from Colt, LMT, BCM, Noveske etc. will run for thousands and thousand of rounds without issue. Pat Rogers ran a Colt 6940 for I think +17,000-rounds before any issues were noted (at what appears to be the life-span of some parts for Colt) change parts and rifle keeps running, others like the BCM rifles are into the +30,000-round mark and higher. Still very impressive so I am not knocking the DI AR's by any means, simply stating that they do run dirty though and can be a bitch to clean as opposed to simply wiping off like a piston-system.

300H&H : Copy that brother, the guys who led the way and started it all. *s* I was just a little too young and inexperienced when I dropped of my resume in the Pretoria vacinity just after their peak. Wish they were still around, we could use them now. ;)
    Last edited by Ghostrider; 12-04-2010 at 08:33.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    The CR-21 rifle was supposed to be excellent for urban or close quarter’s warfare.
    I have had limited experience with the CR21, but I never felt happy with the supporting hand on that sloping fore-end during burts fire. The weapon doesn't balance well for me and I always had the sneaking feeling that in quick and dirty I was about to shoot holes through my supporting hand.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

ikor : PS : Owning a piston-system (for me) isn't an issue as far as parts commonality go across the AR spectrum as it is for you, I do understand the logistics of wanting something that you can replace easily like BCG's and gas tubes etc. (also more cost effective, yes) whereas piston systems are specific to particular, individual companies (as it would be owning say an FN SCAR as a different platform) with some 80% parts commonality with other ARs.

User

Interesting reading from all posters

Imo the R4 DMR is a joke. The setup of the rifle just does not gel - the R/LM is not ideally suited for rail mounted optics withouth changing the stock geometry etc. The Mil/Denel would have been better served by buying some dedicated DM rifles.

I have posted before that I run both a Colt SP1 Car (enhanced quite a bit ) and a LM6 (in non operational use).

Imo in general the LM is nice rifle and I really enjoy shooting it with he RMR mounted on the dustcover (dustcover mounting best suited to low profile low weight mini dot optics imo) - I do not enjoy shooting it with ome iron sights due to eyesight and I do not enjoy shooting it with rail mounted optics - I tried it and I do not like it because it is plain and simple just not comfy and it's slow because it does not provide a proper and comfortable repeatable cheekweld for quick positioning. Imo the LM is best left un-railed except for a mini dot optic like the RMR mounted low on the dustcover.

If I have to choose between the LM and the AR the AR wins everytime. Light to handle, ergonomic/easy to use, faster mag changes, faster follow up shots for me (both rifles with red dot optics). I have had no issues with my AR in the 3,5k rounds that I have fired with it. It is absolutely more versatile than the LM/R when it comes to enhancing the rifle with optics and such. It will be difficult to kit out the LM/R with a setup like the Eotech or Aimpoint with a Magnifier further denying the operator/user the use of the excellent optic variations available today.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Interesting reading from all posters

Imo the R4 DMR is a joke. The setup of the rifle just does not gel - the R/LM is not ideally suited for rail mounted optics withouth changing the stock geometry etc. The Mil/Denel would have been better served by buying some dedicated DM rifles.
    Indeed. Perhaps they should have thought twice about taking all those NIB R1s out of war reserve and putting them through a hammer mill a few years ago.

Good, serviceable DMR for probaby under R10k each.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

They will probably stick with the same caliber but if they have to replace barrels then they should at least change to a tighter rifling twist and upgrade the ammo to at least a 62gr bullet. This will at least be an improvement for long range accuracy and effectiveness.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Default DMR

Isn't the 5.56 a touch weak for a DMR role?

So we have come from one of the greatest military manufacturing countries to taking old designs and slapping the incorrect rail system, prob from Leapers, the ACOG is too high and an M4 stock?

I cry !

Don't confuse the role of a SDM with that of a sniper. The SDM is a part of the rifle squad and his role is to act first as a squad member while...when circumstances allow...also engaging the enemy with more precise fire under conditions where most other squad members would not be able to hit well if at all. This would include longer ranges or more precise shots etc. The DMR should thus be chambered for the standard round as used by the squad(s).
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7