Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ruger GP100 jamming when shooting double action.

You can solve the problem immediately and permanently by selling it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    When i try race my security six i seem to beet the reset, read somewhere it might be a general ruger thing.
    Your mainspring in the grip may have weakened, or if not, get a stiffer one. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the stiffer the spring the faster you can shoot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    You can solve the problem immediately and permanently by selling it to me.
    HeHe! It really is a nice revolver! But I will polish the offending areas a bit and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    HeHe! It really is a nice revolver! But I will polish the offending areas a bit and see what happens.
    My offer stands, I'm looking to buy one. I have a post in the Wanted section.

Before you polish, check with Ruger if the parts are case hardened. It's a very thin layer, you don't want to polish it off.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    When shooting fast on double action my revolver's trigger do not always go forwards all the way. It then 'locks' up and the revolver jams. How do I rectify this? Please help!
    The GP100 can "jam" for several reasons:

If the trigger does not return by itself, try pushing it forward with gentle finger pressure. If the finger pressure returns it, your trigger return spring is weak. This spring is the same that tensions the trigger assembly latch. It can be shimmed or replaced. Most Ruger spring kits have 2 trigger return springs included. Do not use a too weak spring.

If some piece of gunk is blocking or binding the trigger, a good clean out is needed. Read the disassembly instructions in your owners manual. (This manual can be downloaded from the Ruger website.) Take care not too lose any parts. There are small springs and pins in there. Clean it out and try it, before replacing any parts.

Do not remove material on the operating parts. They are normally case hardened. Removing just a little too much can ruin the part. Polishing the sides of the hammer, and the hammer recess, should not cause any damage. Shimming the hammer could also help smooth the DA trigger pull a lot.

If unburnt powder is "jamming" the revolver, there are 2 options:
    1. If the powder got behind the extractor star, it will bind the cylinder. Clean out there.
    2. If the residue is causing the cylinder to rub against the forcing cone, check out the barrel/cylinder gap. It should measure around 0.006" or 0,15mm. Use a feeler guage to measure, while pushing the cylinder forward. If the gap is much smaller than 6 thou, you can open it up by very carefull application of a fine file. Measure a lot, on all sides, and file very little at a time. A competent gunsmith is recommended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2