Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Walk and stalk bush pig in daylight

Have heard about injuries on dogs yes, when hunters try and flush pigs out with dogs. But not really on humans.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by gee13 View Post
    Have heard about injuries on dogs yes, when hunters try and flush pigs out with dogs. But not really on humans.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    When a pig chases a dog, where does the dog go?

User

The trick involved in running away from a charging bushpig is to take 3 steps directly to your left or right, turn 180 degrees and haul arse as fast as you can. The reason behind the three 3 stpes left or right is to avoid slipping in your own shit.
    It is always better to hunt bushpig with a mate, preferably a mate who runs much slower than yourself.

User

We've had two injuries to hunters in the last few years. One was early morning in a maize field - we had the dogs on the sounder and one large boar bailed through the pack cutting one dog up badly and he nicked the handler on the calf - stitches were needed. On the second occasion, a sounder was trapped between a steep overhang and some very dense brush. We could hear them inside but could not see them. One of the dogs got in from the side and the pigs started bailing in all directions. One pig ran over one of the guys in the shooting party - it happened so quickly there was no time to react. The guy was an experienced pig hunter and as he fell, he turned around and was in perfect alignment for a close quarter dispatching shot. He had quite a bit of bruising and small cuts along his thighs as the pig came though his legs.
    Bush pigs are nasty buggers and the only people that don't treat them with respect are first time pig hunters.

Banned

I know of two cases where dogs caused kak and then b lined back to owner, one lost a hand the other his calf. Also a farm worker died after dogs brought pig back after them - P/Alfred I think.
    Who has seen video of that pig attacking fisherman on beach up S/West way ???.
    Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    When a pig chases a dog, where does the dog go?

Banned

Dale SH and mate walking in bush, a bush pig charges them . Dale tears his boots of in stride and bolts with mate. Mate sais "Dale ? you think taking your boots off is going to make you out run the pig /"----------------"naaaaaaaaaaaa" aswers Dale "just out run you"

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Dale SH and mate walking in bush, a bush pig charges them . Dale tears his boots of in stride and bolts with mate. Mate sais "Dale ? you think taking your boots off is going to make you out run the pig /"----------------"naaaaaaaaaaaa" aswers Dale "just out run you"
    Exactly

User

I have hunted bushpig over dogs in the mielies and forests in the Northern Natal areas a few times and have seen what a pig can do to a dog. I do not want to be in that things we should it decide to target me. Those bottom teeth are literally as sharp as scalpel. I have seen a bluetick cross blood hound cut down to the bone so cleanly that one could not even see the cut. A little bit of blood and one could only see how deep the cut was by pulling the muscle apart. Back leg of a fairly big dog. Must have been 4 to 5 cm deep.

User

Slaughter three pigs today, after each shot the pig goes into his death throws..huge tantrum, this always happens, even a perfect shot to the brain causes a death throw..where pig wriggle in over drive..and every time this pig is attacked by other pigs..as soon as I shot the pig I cut the two main arteries..and left it to bleed out..during this time the other adult pigs start attacking the bleeding pig..if you leave them be, they take this pig apart..and when harassing them to stop attacking the bleeding pig they start attacking me...I do have a nice big stick to make them re-think their plan of action usually...but even these domestic pigs will tear out your hamstring in a blink of your eye...it really takes some guts to stand your ground when these big adult pigs charge you with their open mouths and teeth clapping jaws...

Using a bow on these pigs is another method that work just fine....
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 01-06-2016 at 22:18.

Banned

(give me some poetic licence here ) - this is how I describe a wounded b/pig to people that ask.Its the only animal I have met that is clever enough too, realize you have caused its death, its mortally wounded, and then clever enough vicious enough to say i am taking you the cause of this with me. It will then spend its last minutes alive doing everything in its power to take you with it to the big sleep.
    make no mistake they often run away, but they also make a active decision to kill you and actually think about it.
    When my one could not get me first 2 charges it trotted of and looked for a while while i climbed tree ( twig) it then walked almost upright to get me. It then ran off and tried to run up trunk and lastly it gnawed at tree base. Sylvians pig climbed onto back of bakkie to get to him then when it could not get onto roof at him it got off climbed onto bonnet and got way laid slipping on windscreen. He killed it with a panga while it tried to climb windscreen. (hope I got this correct)
    No I do not want to be in a open field with a angry pig even with a shotgun - its all just to ..........dunno, perhaps scary. Its a much more focused on getting you animal than a warthog.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast