Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Decent Hunting Boots

Difficult topic this Mylani.

Either you must buy what's on the local shelves and be limited to choice, or buy online, risking that with our poor currency it may not fit and you'll loose the money, a lot.

I mean I have an interest in the Vasque St. Elias GTX, where the funk do you buy that in SA?

Either you must state whether you are going to buy online or what is available in your location, then we can debate this.

User

the Keen Duran mid boot is rather bomb proof. In Wet and cold conditions they do a really good job of keeping your feet dry.
    They are on the heavy side though
    http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/...nd-mid-wp-wide
    Cape union mart has them, and I find them comfortable.
    Not cheap though

User

Quote Originally Posted by Equity View Post
    Not cheap though
    If they last you 4-6 years they are well worth it

I always thought Salomons were expensive until I got a pair as a present. I now own 5 pairs including the GTX's and would buy them again in a heart beat.

Just check your local shooting match (IPSC, 3GN) and most likely there are 80% of Salomons on peoples feet.

User

I have a pair of Tarzan Gorillas. Very comfy, supports the ankle well. Their sizes are big - I was able to insert a lekker vet innersole into my size 9's.

http://www.tarzanshoes.co.za/hiking--outdoor-range.html

Alternatively:

http://www.rogue.co.za/index.php/com...ers/boots-shop

http://www.jimgreenfootwear.co.za/pr...en/mens-boots/

I have a few pairs of Courteney boots and wore them for many years but have moved away from them now. Quite comfortable and rugged and good for hot and dry weather. Does however suck in cold and wet weather.

Now have a pair of Wolverine Hawthorne 8" hunting boots which are great in cold and wet and give great ankle support. Have not used them for warm weather hunting yet but think the Thinsulate might make them very hot.

Wearing Merrell Reflex or Hitec boots daily which are fine but still looking for the one perfect boot!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    I have a few pairs of Courteney boots and wore them for many years but have moved away from them now. Quite comfortable and rugged and good for hot and dry weather. Does however suck in cold and wet weather.
    Absolutely ... Couldn't agree with you more ... I loved my Courtney's when I lived in Africa, but they leaked like sieves in the wet. I still have those boots and wear them occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    If they last you 4-6 years they are well worth it I always thought Salomons were expensive until I got a pair as a present. I now own 5 pairs including the GTX's and would buy them again in a heart beat. Just check your local shooting match (IPSC, 3GN) and most likely there are 80% of Salomons on peoples feet.
    I have Salomon running shoes that are great but I have found their boots have a narrow last that don't work great with wide feet. Are the GTX any different?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Difficult topic this Mylani.

Either you must buy what's on the local shelves and be limited to choice, or buy online, risking that with our poor currency it may not fit and you'll loose the money, a lot.

I mean I have an interest in the Vasque St. Elias GTX, where the funk do you buy that in SA?

Either you must state whether you are going to buy online or what is available in your location, then we can debate this.
    Outdoorgearlab.com gave those shoes a great write up!
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking...e-St-Elias-GTX

User

I like the wolverine Raider boot comes in 6" or 8" boot height, great ankle support and very comfortable I can take a new pair of the shelf and walk all day without them hurting my feet. I have used them for years now but not everyone's feet are the same, for instance I cant wear merrell's my feet start aching like mad within an hour.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes View Post
    I have Salomon running shoes that are great but I have found their boots have a narrow last that don't work great with wide feet. Are the GTX any different?
    I think they are fine. I also have found that with the ortholite insert they mould to your feet (with my speedcross 3's and the GTX's).

The one nice thing about boots as that people use them for everything and so there are many reviews on the net.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast