Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Just had a call from my DFO regaring my SEC13 renewal...

WZ, I too was referring to the FCA in its current ratified form, including Act 28 of 2006 which made the changes I referred to.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Okay – from a terminology perspective we should then talk about "the FCA, as amended" and "the prospective amendments".

The position under the FCA, as amended, has been outlined quite clearly above. It is not a model of clarity but the intention appears to be that (a) a competency remains valid in respect of those firearms licensed under that competency prior to the expiry date of that competency; (b) once the expiry date of that competency has been reached, no further firearms can be licensed under that competency and you need to obtain a new competency in order to licence further firearms. This is also how I understand the SAPS to give effect to the competency and licensing system. That is, leaving aside the guys within the system who do not really understand what is going on.

My understanding is that the prospective amendments will make the position clearer and are intended to remove the ambiguities and uncertainties in that regard.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Would the renewal of competency take the same process, and therefore time, as getting the initial competency?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Would the renewal of competency take the same process, and therefore time, as getting the initial competency?
    Given the unmitigated administrative disaster at Faulty Towers I would imagine so... although all that is required is a brief glance at your criminal record to make sure you haven't become disqualified in the interim.
    Last edited by Paul; 02-06-2016 at 13:04.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

So assuming you have several S16 firearms on an expiring/expired competency, you would only need to renew the competency at the same time as renewing the earliest of those licenses UNLESS you also had a S13 license against the competency obviously requiring earlier competency renewal OR you wanted to license an additional firearm after the expiry date.

Makes sense to me to just keep it renewed. But I like impulsive retail decisions

That way they can take their time on the new competency app and you'll have a valid one come license renewal time, without adding competency renewal time to the mix.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Ok so as I feared I have now become a victim of this. My DFO called me and said that my new handgun app cannot be captured as my handgun comp has expired on CFR's system. I had discussed the issue with him earlier and we were both of the opinion that my competency would still be valid for the remainder of the validity of my sec. 16 handgun licence, which only expires in 2021. However, it seems that his hands are tied, as the capturing system won't accept my "expired" competency.

So either CFR has just screwed up with my info, or they are now implementing this interpretation of the law where one cannot apply for a new licence with a comp that is more than 5 years old (if I'm understanding WZ correctly).

Anyway, I have now handed it over to GOSA. Seems I will not be getting my 26 this year : (

User

To add confusion: So it seems that if you did your handgun competency by itself, and took too long after that to do shotgun, manual and self-loading rifle competency, they decide that the handgun competency expires after 5 years. If you did handgun/shotgun or rifle together or within a certain period of time you are good to go for 10 years. It makes no sense...

User

Even more confusing, per my post above my comp was invalid after 5 years on their system. Today by magic my comp is valid again. How even?

User

Hi all

I have been reading a few posts on this subject. I have a competency for a S13 Handgun, issued in 2010, which seems like it expired in 2015. What is the process for me to renew it now that it has expired?

I’m not sure if this would be the right thread to post this kind of a question... People aren’t really gonna take notice of it. Maybe move it to general discussions or under a topic with a more appropriate name. Also, I think there are already some threads in this. I may be wrong, but you can just reapply for your competency through your DFO with your old Conpetency Certificate from the gun store.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4