Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default South African Medican Journal article

Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to place this thread, mods feel free to move it as required.

In this month's South African Medical Journal (SAMJ) there is both an editorial and an original research article from the Gun F SA group (specifically Richard M)

I want to bring it to everyone's attention as it (sarcastically?) thanks Paul Oxley and quotes Martin Hood. I haven't had a huge amount of time to dissect the article as I'm rather busy now, but I think it requires a critical read from anyone involved in medical research.

Please find link below.

http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/sam...iew/10379/7398

The editorial is in the same edition as can be accessed without payment.

I think this might deserve a response from GOSA or another interested party?

If Paul or someone else wants to discuss this further with me directly, please PM me and I will respond as soon as I can.

Regards

lithium

User

Default Re: South African Medican Journal article

I do not think the "thank you" is sarcastic. It shows an increase in fire-arm deaths in 2012 and 2013. Which shows that the act is not working. Which, I think, helps our cause.

User

Havent read the article, pdf too small on phone screen. But I see they start again in 1997 with the "decline" story. Did not see mention of 2004 fca implementation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I do not think the "thank you" is sarcastic. It shows an increase in fire-arm deaths in 2012 and 2013. Which shows that the act is not working. Which, I think, helps our cause.
    Good point. Didn't expect an acknowledgment from them for Paul pointing this out. They author mentions in the editorial that the rise of deaths during that period was possibly related to the rush of applications that were pushed through CFR. I think this is a very difficult hypothesis to justify.

User

Yes, and the editorial comment is certainly not based on results I could see in the research.

The major problem is we don't have any organizations producing the real stuff.

Otherwise we have to take the MRC to court and force it to remove junk science - but we need to show why its junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    The major problem is we don't have any organizations producing the real stuff.
    We should now put our heads together and get this going. This is very important.

User

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to place this thread, mods feel free to move it as required.

In this month's South African Medical Journal (SAMJ) there is both an editorial and an original research article from the Gun F SA group (specifically Richard M)

I want to bring it to everyone's attention as it (sarcastically?) thanks Paul Oxley and quotes Martin Hood. I haven't had a huge amount of time to dissect the article as I'm rather busy now, but I think it requires a critical read from anyone involved in medical research.

Please find link below.

http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/sam...iew/10379/7398

The editorial is in the same edition as can be accessed without payment.

I think this might deserve a response from GOSA or another interested party?

If Paul or someone else wants to discuss this further with me directly, please PM me and I will respond as soon as I can.

Regards

lithium

Hi there Lithium

Please pm me your contact details. We are about 3 academics looking at more of what Matzopoulos is spouting. Sadly got bogged down between exams, conferences and journals. We identified avenues for popular level and academic responses. We'd love more hands on deck from researchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    There are many anomolies with the stats and this researcher's conclusions.

"However, the increasing number of gunshot-related deaths for 2012 and 2013, which is
    confirmed by NDoH data,[13]corresponds with the police fast-
    tracking the finalisation of more than a million firearm-related
    applications for firearm licences, licence renewals for individuals and
    competency certificates between November 2010 and July 2011."

If a backlog is cleared and licenses "fast tracked" then there will be more firearms in circulation and thus more incidents.

Well at least he puts a disclaimer on his work:

Conflicts of interest.

RM serves on the board of Gun Free South Africa, but receives no remuneration for his service to the organisation.

User

I'll read it. But first I need to take a strong sedative

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast