Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting Eland - what bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by fr8liner View Post
    Mature bull - but not going for trophy going for biltong
    Mature bulls are a lot larger, almost double the size, than cows. I don't really understand why you want to shoot a 5 - 8 year old animal for meat, but that is your choice. Considering that you are hunting at close range, and the size of the animal, I'd choose the .450. If you had premium bullets, something like a 250gr TSX or a 286 Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame, for the 9.3, that would be a good choice. I have seen three 300gr Hornady Interlocks from a .375 H&H disintegrate in a huge eland bulls shoulder, failing to reach the vitals.

If you do choose the 9.3 with your current bullet selection, shoot just behind the shoulder.

User

Not all their bullets would be premium (for example the Nosler Ballistic Tip would not be premium). Partitions are getting there, but they are not bonded (as far as I know).

I don't know enough about Woodleigh (you also don't state a type of Woodleigh).

Premium to me would be a bonded core (with or without a "partition"), or a monometal bullet that does not shed petals.

Your quarry is massive, penetration will be a factor, thus weight retention is critical.

The Swift A Frame is bonded and partitioned, should be fantastic. But I don't think you need a 450NE.

Look at Barnes TSX, TTSX, Nosler Accubonds, Swift Scirroco 2 or A Frames.

User

A cartridge is just a cartridge, coupled with a said bullet still doesn't make it a good choice for a specific job.

Meaning you can set up the weapon for a specific job, if the OP uses his 450 with open sights then shots at 150m is pushing it for most. Also shots between 100m and 150m is a strange statement, meaning what type of terrain is this that allows this margin of distance.

My choice would depend on the weapon platform, if my 9.3 have a 4x scope on it and my 300 a 3-9 then I will be hunting with the 300 and the partitions, no doubt about that.

The devil is in the details.

Banned

I also posted some time back regarding .375 interloks on Eland shoulder bones failing to get through, but the 9.3 will be much slower at poi wont it, not up to speck on 375.
    Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Mature bulls are a lot larger, almost double the size, than cows. I don't really understand why you want to shoot a 5 - 8 year old animal for meat, but that is your choice. Considering that you are hunting at close range, and the size of the animal, I'd choose the .450. If you had premium bullets, something like a 250gr TSX or a 286 Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame, for the 9.3, that would be a good choice. I have seen three 300gr Hornady Interlocks from a .375 H&H disintegrate in a huge eland bulls shoulder, failing to reach the vitals.

If you do choose the 9.3 with your current bullet selection, shoot just behind the shoulder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    A cartridge is just a cartridge, coupled with a said bullet still doesn't make it a good choice for a specific job.

Meaning you can set up the weapon for a specific job, if the OP uses his 450 with open sights then shots at 150m is pushing it for most. Also shots between 100m and 150m is a strange statement, meaning what type of terrain is this that allows this margin of distance.

My choice would depend on the weapon platform, if my 9.3 have a 4x scope on it and my 300 a 3-9 then I will be hunting with the 300 and the partitions, no doubt about that.

The devil is in the details.
    450 has a scope and has been used out to 100metres accurately with the 350 Swift, it is very heavy though.
    Country side is hilly with open vleis in various spots. The 9.3 was open site last time I went and despite getting to 100 metres it was hard to choose an animal due to poor field of vision. My experience out there was that out at 150 meters animal selection was a lot more easy and hence decided to scope both the 450 and the 9.3. Despite having made a shot on an impala at 130metres with open sites with the 9.3, i was concerned that I was being irresponsible trying the same on a large animal at similar distance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Not all their bullets would be premium (for example the Nosler Ballistic Tip would not be premium). Partitions are getting there, but they are not bonded (as far as I know).

I don't know enough about Woodleigh (you also don't state a type of Woodleigh).

Premium to me would be a bonded core (with or without a "partition"), or a monometal bullet that does not shed petals.

Your quarry is massive, penetration will be a factor, thus weight retention is critical.

The Swift A Frame is bonded and partitioned, should be fantastic. But I don't think you need a 450NE.

Look at Barnes TSX, TTSX, Nosler Accubonds, Swift Scirroco 2 or A Frames.
    I should of mentioned that i also have some 286grain TSX for the 9.3 but have been battling to find a load for it. Am doing a trial this weekend again, if that works then that is what I would use.

User

If you are happy with the weapon as is then use any of the bullets mentioned in 9.3.
    The interlocks that failed as mentioned in the previous posts was probably the discontinued 300gr round nose bullets.

Personally I would not do load development 1 week before the hunt.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I also posted some time back regarding .375 interloks on Eland shoulder bones failing to get through, but the 9.3 will be much slower at poi wont it, not up to speck on 375.
    That specific eland bull was shot at 200m using the .375, I have an idea that impact velocity for the 9.3x62 would be similar at 100m.

User

i would be happy to use the 9.3 with either bullet or the 300 with the nosler partitions. ask yourself which rifle you are the most comfortable with and use that. as an aside,why the different bullets for each calibre? after doing load developement would it not be better to settle on 1 load combination that works in your rifle and stick to that? many years ago i used to load 130gr"s in my 3006 for springbuck,150gr"s for impala and 180gr"s for kudu. used to confuse the hell out of myself. my wingshooting buddies would say i was using my shotgun as i was allways shooting over and under

User

Quote Originally Posted by fr8liner View Post
    I should of mentioned that i also have some 286grain TSX for the 9.3 but have been battling to find a load for it. Am doing a trial this weekend again, if that works then that is what I would use.
    Depending on the twist rate of the 9,3's barrel, the 286TSX'es might just not be properly stabilized, due to their extra length compared to cup-core bullets of the same weight. Some 9,3's have a relatively slow 1:16" twist rate.

The moderate MV of the 9,3x62 with 286 gn bullets, lends it to use with cup-core bullets like the Hornady Interlock. They should hold together and penetrate deeply. Do avoid the thick shoulder bones to be safe.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast