Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Blue wildebeest shot placement

Relatively on topic, I'm using 180gr ProAmm's in a couple of weeks' time on wildebeest in KZN. Have never hunted wildebeest before and understand the idea of a bullet not failing, but the shooter. As such I would just like to know, would you advise shootingwhere the OP placed his mark (+-2 inches up as replies indicate), a little more behind the shoulder to avoid any big bones due to normal cup and core make of bullet or on the shoulder?

Banned

this is good advice, I have a preference for Messors post # 5 - it simply can not be argued.
    Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    In my experience, a shot just above the heart, through the big arteries and the lungs, kill just as quickly, if not more so, than a shot to the centre of the heart. So, like Messor said, raise the dot 2".

As a rule of thumb, on the larger antelope, the shot should be placed between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the body.

It is important not to shoot the big antelope too high, it is equally important not to shoot them too low, as pointed out by Driepoot. During the past couple of years we lost two eland that were shot in the brisket. The brisket, on an antelope this large, is deeper than most hunters realise.

User

kudustalker......place the bullet where messor and Tstone indicated. from the side you will see the bone structure curves foreward. you are only likely to encounter bone on a wildebeest quartering towards you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    kudustalker......place the bullet where messor and Tstone indicated. from the side you will see the bone structure curves foreward. you are only likely to encounter bone on a wildebeest quartering towards you.
    Thanks!

User

Shots taken low are usually taken by our bow hunters, especially on a Blue Wildebeest...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2