Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scope for .22lr

User

Default Scope for .22lr

Hi

I got myself a CZ455 varmit evolution in .22lr laat year and have since been shooting it alot. When I bought it I fitted a cheap bushnell rimfire scope (3-9*40). Theres nothing wrong with the scope but would like something with more magnification and paralax adjustment. I do not know where to from here. I want something better as this is the rifle I shoot every week, so I think it worth it getting better optics for a rifle which is use this much. I had a look at the following:

Hawke Vantage 4-16x44 Sf Half Mil Dot R3800-00
    Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 Sf Half Mil Dot R3900-00
    Hawke sidewinder 6-16x50 SR pro R7549-00
    Vortex - crossfire II 6-18x44 AO V-plex R5399-00
    Rudolph H1 4,5-14x44 R5230-00
    Rudolph V1 6-24x50 T3 Reticle R7180-00

I have never used any of the mentioned but I am also open for other? Budget up to around R7k

The scope will first be used on the 22 and the switched to either a 308 or 25-06 so would like to buy something descent, or should I opt for the cheaper hawke and then buy a new scope for the new rifle?

looking forward reading your comments.

User

Default Re: Scope for .22lr

Leupold vx 1 or vx 2

Banned

That 6-24 Hawke is a great scope for a 22. Ihave one on my 243 and another on my 7x64. Best glass at that price that I have found.

I have a 4-12 Leupy on my 22 and trying to shoot accurately at 50m, is a pain with the 22 targets SA Hunters use.

User

I have a Hawke 4-16 sidewinder SR pro fitted on my 308 and I'm very happy with it. Good value for money. I suppose 6-24 will even be better as Driepootx says.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

User

Visserman just be careful when you buy a scope that is meant for a centerfire rifle. Rimfire scopes usually have finer parallax adjustments than the centerfire scopes. If you are planning on doing target shooting with it, have a look at a scope with a minimum parallax setting of say 10 meters. I have a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 on my .22LR. To be honest it is a really good scope (and cheap) but I really would have liked a little more magnification. One of my friends bought himself a Lynx for about R8K, specifically for target shooting and to be honest... I am jealous! It has a real thin crosshair with a small dot in the middle for perfect aiming. Centerfire scopes' crosshairs tend to be a little thicker as well. Sadly I cant remember the specs right now but will ask him and post it here.

User

Thank you for your feedback. I have a Leupold Vx1 on my hunting rifle and it is awesome, however the higher magnifications are out of my budget.

Burts you make a very good point, make 100% sense. I had a look a the Lynx 4-16x42very nice well price at R4500 not the one you are talking about? The Hawke is the one that caught my eye the most. Now another question is whether to go for the more expensive and better Sidewinder with the adjustable turrets or go for the Vantage with only parallax adjustments? (I have never used adjustable turrets before). Will one get double the value out of the sidewinder?

Hawke and Vortex have very good guarantees.
    Got Hawke on my HW100 the Airmax model. Very clear and well built.
    On my 22 Hornet I fitted the 4-12x Vortex Crossfire II. And its also very clear.
    Ive got a Lynx 6-24 on my 308 but have looked alot at the new Hawke Frontier.
    But no one seems to have any review on them yet locally.
    Im pretty close to Suburban who imports them. One day will go look at the Frontier.

Cant say if Rudolph has or not. Have no experience with them.

User

Thanks for the input shooty. I am struggling to decide between the Vortex crosfiire and Hawke sidewinder? I try and compare them in store tommorow.

User

I had a Sightron Sii on my rifle. It was great and held zero perfectly. The only reason I sold it was because it ran out of adjustment. I use the turrets to dial for zero at different distances.

User

I went to and looked at the mentioned scopes. Really not much in it between the scope.
    Thank you burts for your comment on the parralax. Basically all the scopes mention will do the job some just slightly better than other.
    I eventually went with the hawke sidewinder 6-24x56 with warne rings. Everything with this scope just felt right. The mind and hart said hawke. Now to go and shoot those flies.

Thank you for all the input!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast