Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Amnesty and Licencing

Hi Guys,

What is the situation with persons with licences in their ID books?
    Is the court case still pending?

Can thses people still hang on to their firearms or must they forfeit them to the state.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

yes!

User

I believe KK20 means yes, they must still hang on them. Please DO NOT forfeit them to the state.

tried to edit but couldnt do so. send me you e-mail i have info i could forward to you.

If you absolutely want to forfeit anything, please forfeit it to me first :) (please Han on to your weapons :) )

Amnesty ,Renewals and the 11 April Deadline

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Dear Everybody

This e-mail is going to everybody who is in my address book. I apologize if you receive this e-mail and you are not a firearm owner or if you are not interested in its contents. If you are interested in its contents I appeal to you to pass on this e-mail to as many people in your address book that you think might have an interest in its contents.

The South African Police Services appears to have embarked upon a deliberate campaign to mislead the firearm owning public into believing that the amnesty which expires on the 11th April 2010 is the last opportunity that the public has to re-licence firearms for which they hold old Arms and Ammunition Act licences and which have not been renewed. This is patently untrue and misleading. In terms of the South African Hunters and Game Conservation decision all old Arms and Ammunition Act licences in the form of green cards or those pasted into your identity document are valid indefinitely. The amnesty is only in respect of firearms that are illegal. The South African Police Services are telling the public that you have until the 11th April 2010 to lodge an application for a new licence for your old Act licence and the feedback that I am receiving is that the public are being misled into believing that after the 11th April 2010 their old Arms and Ammunitions Act licences will become invalid and they will be in illegal possession of that firearm.

Nothing is further from the truth. If you have an old Act licence, it remains valid. If you have not applied to renew that licence, it still remains valid. Your possession of the firearm is legal and you can continue to use the firearm for any lawful purpose. Do not believe the South African Police Services if they say that your firearm will become illegal, or that you will be arrested, or that you have to apply for a new licence for that firearm. This is part of a political strategy to force people to comply with the Firearms Control Act where it is not necessary, or to force people to hand in firearms where it is not necessary.

I am collecting a body of evidence to try and show that the SAPS have embarked upon a deliberate campaign to mislead the public. I have my suspicions where this misleading information comes from and it is my intention to hold those officers in the SAPS accountable in law. If people have handed in firearms for destruction (and in the process have not been told that they can apply for compensation) as a result of false or misleading statements by the SAPS, I want to know. You can e-mail this information to me at info@mjhood.co.za or you can e-mail it to the South African Gun Owners Association at saga@saga.org.za.

The SAPS have already been ordered in principle that they will have to pay compensation to the public for firearms that have been surrendered. It is time that firearm owners take a principle stand and do not bow to unlawful SAPS pressures or actions.

Once again, I request that you circulate this e-mail as widely and quickly as possible as the amnesty cut-off date is the 11th April 2010 and it is my desire to ensure that as few as possible people hand in their firearms for destruction as a result of the misleading and dishonest campaign embarked upon by the SAPS.

Yours faithfully

Martin Hood
    Partner

MJ Hood & Associates
    Tel: (011) 234 7520
    Fax: (011) 803 7828
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

thank you , that was the email i tried to insert

Thank you guys, I was bullied, lied too and told I had to re-apply by the 11th April, I rushed my applications to get them in on time. They also charged me R70.00 for the certificate and a further R140.00 per licence, they also wanted me to fill in a SAPS 522(b) Forfeiture of Firearm, I refused. This licence process has now cost me R1970.00 for 2 handgun and 1 rifle renewal.

The reason I asked though is that my brother has not reapplied and wanted to hand in his Glock19 to be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pike View Post
    wanted to hand in his Glock19 to be destroyed.
    You want some members to have a heart attack ???
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

I am in the same situation. I have a 12 bore s/s inherrited from my father in law. I have a licenec still in old ID book issued 1973. Police want me to hand in to them todisarm, I WONT DO THAT but what else can I do?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast