Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 vs 7mm

User

Lightbulb .270 vs 7mm

Hi guys

I am in the market for a new rifle and would like some feedback on the .270 and the 7mm in terms of accuracy, velocities, recoil ect. and some suggestions on which would be more suitable for hunting medium game in South Africa and abroad in Africa.

Cheers

User

For medium sized game the .270
    For less recoil the .270
    For cheaper ammo the .270
    The 7mm Rem mag has more velocity though, but that isn't needed.
    Id's say go with the 270, but that depends on with calibre appeals to you more.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

are talking about the 7mm mag or 7mm maus? in any case take the 270.

User

The closest comparable 7mm would be the 7x64, no doubt a better choice than the 270.

User

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    The closest comparable 7mm would be the 7x64, no doubt a better choice than the 270.
    now you are talking!!. 7x64 aka the 7mm brenneke is one of Dr Lucas Potgieter's favourites. this is a very good 7mm and PMP in Gauteng manufactures the ammo.

User

i had in mind the 7mm mauser, the .270 also seems more appealing. The cheaper ammo makes it a clear winner in my mind as the hunting budget is usually the first one to get cut if money is short unfortunately

User

If the cost of your ammo is a major part of your hunting budget, may I suggest shooting lessons? *grin* *duck* *run*

Quote Originally Posted by junkmail
    RIFLE 93 Mauser
    7x57mm, SN license, 2000. R.1000 (Pinelands) ... read more
    021-5314543
    R1 000
    Cape Town
    Pinelands
    For Sale
    Private Ad
    06/04/2010

User

Harper,

If price of ammo is your deciding factor, why do you want the opinion of experienced hunters? You probably spend more money at one toll gate than the difference in price of a whole packet of ammo.

User

harper, if you are deciding between the 7x57 and the 270 take the 270. the 270 is for lack a better explanation: the new 7mm Mauser. the difference in cost of ammo is dismissible, but not the performance of the 270. i know the 7mm maus has some history in this country with the Boer Wars but the 270 is just better. in future your money restrictions may be gone but then you want the better performing calibre. having said that check-out wikipedia and compare diffrent calibres there. comparisons like bullet weight ability and speed and how much powder is needed to obtain this. but i think if you have done this then you will see the 7x64 is just something else.

BUT!! , if this is your first hunting rifle it all changes the picture. in s-africa logic dictates that a 30 calibre should be your calibre if you intend to do all your hunting with it. as ridiculous as it may sound some regions/game lodges doesn't allow hunting with less than a 30 calibre.

User

Besides, you lose more meat with a 270 than the price of a fair number of packets of ammo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast