Page 1 of 98 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    User

Default My first attempt at a knife

Woke up early one December morning and as usual headed to YouTube and found Walter Sorrells chanel and decided to make a knife.

Being the world's best procrastinator nothing happened for 6 months, I then saw the threads posted by Von Gruff and Reaper and decided to get off my arse and make one.

I procured some k460 from bohler and last Thursday decided it was time to start.

Then I realized I have absolutely no metal working tools and proceeded to spend the price of a nice knife on buying the basic tools required and some things which were useless.

Step one was making the template which I had been fooling around with for a month prior and stumbled on mini cleavers so that's what inspired the design.

Step 2 was marking and cutting the steel to shape.

Seeing that I only had hand tools this took a while.

The time came to do the bevels and here a lot of lessons were learnt on how not to do it but it came out ok in the end.

When this was done time came to do heat treat and not being able to find any refractory bricks in East London, I went back to YouTube and built a coffee can forge.

The torch is a bit underpowered so getting the metal to temp took some time.

The bladed then went into the oven for tempering.

Then I fitted the scales and filed them roughly to shape, I still need to do quite a bit of work to finish it up but I think it came out decently. The handles scales are homemade micarta again thanks YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Banned

Default Re: My first attempt at a knife

Very nice. What is the shape good for? (Serious question!)

Wow, I'm seriously impressed.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Very nice. What is the shape good for? (Serious question!)
    That I still need to figure out Ds J :), it doesn't slice too badly bit you need to use a pinch grip, with the handle shape it does however sit perfectly to cut biltong but will test that out later today.

I basically went for this type of design because it looked cool and I wanted to see if i could make it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Wow, I'm seriously impressed.
    Thank you Skaaphaas.

User

That looks like a really nice and original design. :) Well done.

Word of advice, if you do a series of them, rather send them to a proper heat treatment place where they do it in a sealed furnace etc. They get very consistent results and typically for a small batch of knives, say 10, you will be paying a minimum charge rate which is around 2-300 bucks. The heat treat is critical and why waste all your hard work for 20 bucks a knife?

User

I fully agree bcs, this was one of those is this something I want to do projects, so went the budget route on everything. When I make more I will definitely send them for professional heat treat.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Nicely done. Glad you could save that piece of steel the rats got to

User

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    That I still need to figure out Ds J :), it doesn't slice too badly bit you need to use a pinch grip, with the handle shape it does however sit perfectly to cut biltong but will test that out later today.

I basically went for this type of design because it looked cool and I wanted to see if i could make it.
    And there is no better reason to do sometyhing like this. I applaud you taking on something different "just to see if you could" and for a first attempt it has turned out very nicely indeed. You learn a great deal from the first one and then more on each of the successive ones.

User

Haha yes MSW2, I quickly realized that my ability with a hacksaw matches my ability with a pistol, it just hits the target :)

Page 1 of 98 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast