Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: My first attempt at a knife

Thank you Von Gruff, I am already seeing bits I would do differently next time round. I did enjoy making it there is nothing like being able to hold your work in your hands and do something with it especially for a keyboard jockey like myself.

User

Bohler also makes a cobalt semi-stainless called N690 that I used and I have been quite happy with. IIRC it can go up to 55 rockwell which is nothing to sneeze at.

User

I was looking at the n690 but that has to be sent away for heat treat, so went for k460 due to it being a bit forgiving, but I will look at different steels later.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Good job Erebus!!! This is something I have considered doing for some time. Could you possibly give us a breakdown of the tools you used?

I considered starting with an old file, as I only have a grinder, a dremmel and a drill to my disposal ito power tools. Would you say this is enough to get one going?

User

Slowly getting there

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post
    Good job Erebus!!! This is something I have considered doing for some time. Could you possibly give us a breakdown of the tools you used?

I considered starting with an old file, as I only have a grinder, a dremmel and a drill to my disposal ito power tools. Would you say this is enough to get one going?
    Used a hacksaw, flat bastard file, half round bastard file, half round rasp, bench grinder when the arms gave up and lots of sanding paper.

Handles were made with hessian and gp epoxy lots of videos on home made micarta.

Coffee can forge was perlite, plaster of paris and a bit of sand, it does work but not as good as proper refractories.

Made a filing jig based on the Gough custom design again there is a video on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    Used a hacksaw, flat bastard file, half round bastard file, half round rasp, bench grinder when the arms gave up and lots of sanding paper.

Handles were made with hessian and gp epoxy lots of videos on home made micarta.

Coffee can forge was perlite, plaster of paris and a bit of sand, it does work but not as good as proper refractories.

Made a filing jig based on the Gough custom design again there is a video on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G900F
    Brilliant thanx for the info!!

User

Does a very nice job preparing my lunch time snack

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Flippen nice man. I can kind of see this as a self defence blade. Kind of a wharnecliff blade, nice deep finger groove for retention, and it looks like the handle will fit the palm nicely.

User

It does sit quite securely Manny, I was thinking about making a proper wharncliffe style blade with the same handle, will need to get the pen and paper out and see what i can come up with.

Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast