User

Default Noob Shotgun Advice

Hi Guys
    So now that I have my carry gun upgraded to where I want it, its time to look at a pump gun.

I haven't had much chance to use a shotgun, but I just want a gun for general range use and perhaps for 3gun.
    I am hoping to pick up 2nd hand Remington 870 or failing that a Mossberg 500. (I have no desire for a semi-auto at this stage)

What are the important factors to look for when purchasing a shotgun?
    and what would be the most important things to upgrade once I have purchased one (assuming its a standard stock model)
    I would look at a synthetic aftermarket stock, and perhaps a fiber front sight for example.

are things like slings, and ammo caddies important?
    are there any internals that I should look at upgrading?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I would appreciate any input and advice that the experienced hands could give me.

Thanks very much

Default Re: Noob Shotgun Advice

This is an old thread but I see no responses. Buy an American shotgun. The one missing on your list is Winchester Defender.
    The Mossberg has the best safety on the tang. Some models don't take mag extensions.
    Remington has steel internals while others hav aluminium alloy. Nothing wrong with the alloy but steel is stronger.
    Plenty of accessories for Remington. Very little aftermarket parts for Winchester.
    Only thing I would change on any of these is Hi Viz front site. Spend rest of your money on ammo.
    So what did u end up buying?