Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Converting berdan 7.62x39 to boxer. My methods

There is piles of this stuff at False Bay every weekend, free....

Converting Berdan cases to Boxer is an unsafe practice. Regardless of what anyone else tells you.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    How available are Berdan primers? And do those Berdan primer decapping tools work?

That's the RCBS Lachmiller Berdan decapping tool. It does work, if properly adjusted, but only for a while. Get a few spare pins right from the start.

When the pins break, and they will eventually break, they tend to enlarge the hole in the handle that holds the pin. When that happens, the next (new) pin is poorly supported and breaks faster. Eventually they break immediately on the first case.

I would rather use the hydraulic method, or just convert to Boxer. And yes, it is risky. Reloading steel cases repeatedly is probably also risky, as they might split.

User

cool where you based

User

The reason that military specifications require Berdan primers, is that Boxer primers can come out under pressure and jam an automatic or semi-automatic weapon.

The conversion of Berdan to Boxer makes the Boxer primers seat even less securely.

Has anybody that does the conversion had primers coming out?

User

The reason that military specifications require Berdan primers, is that Boxer primers can come out under pressure and jam an automatic or semi-automatic weapon.

The conversion of Berdan to Boxer makes the Boxer primers seat even less securely.

Has anybody that does the conversion had primers coming out?
    Well....looking at the pics in the begining on this thread i see super glue....so i would say yes they can probably come out.

I wont use converted cases in my guns....too many variables.....i suppose if you make all the hole the same and do load dev around that you should be okish...but no thanks

User

I've had some primers come out when securing them with loctite. I've had none come out yet when securing them with superglue. What I can tell you is that boxer primers (at lest the S&B ones I have) are much softer than berdan ones, and the T56 gives them an almighty whack. My homebrew ammo has been good enough for me for clubshoot-level IPSC use, so they've functioned well under relatively high cycle rates. The Chicom ammo is way more accurate but this is less expensive by a good enough margin to make it worthwhile for me. If I could speed up the decapping process, I'd be very happy.

User

Howsit guys, been offline for a while working in the Plantation. i'm gonna reply to all the posts at 7 or so

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Where do you get the Berdan case modifier? I currently decap hydraulically, then manually remove the boxer primer's anvil and then keep this "slightly smaller berdan primer" in place with superglue like you do. Hydraulic decapping is unpleasant in winter, and the anvil removal is onerous and of course introduce an additional measure of risk, so I wont mind a better way...
    Pirate, case modifier i got from a friend. i've seen some for sale here and there

User

How available are Berdan primers? And do those Berdan primer decapping tools work?

zs, i can still get berdan primers in my small town at same price as large rifle primers. the decapping tool does work if u wanna go that route

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast