Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Bushcraft gun - what would/do you choose/use?

I just love the really threads coming to life again. Must have something to do with lockdown I pressume.

Ruger PC Carbine will be my choice.

User

Lockdown and everybody in an appocolypse mindset, I suppose. This is a nice thread taking into account the times we live in I suppose

A compact rifle in a calibre that uses ammunition that is widely available. For example .223

This:

https://www.gunafrica.co.za/classifi...val-12989.html

I honestly think this covers a varied amount of quarry and has more range than a .22. I would choos this, would prefer it in a .223. You can always dick around making bows and arrows etc and shoot that at rabbits and things you can get at close range. i think this gun has more of an edge.

User

Twenty years ago I owned a Tikka combination exactly like the one in the picture. initially i mounted a 3-9x40 scope on it and used it to shoot a springbok, vervet monkeys and a few guinea fowl with the .222 barrel and a few feral cats with the 12ga barrel. The .222 was quite destructive on the guineas and a 3-9x scope does not work well for wing shooting (I didn't have enough money for qd scope mounts). I then removed the scope and used the folding open sights for the rifle barrel, this limited my shots to 100m but I could use the shotgun for birds.

So, if you buy one, budget for decent qd scope mounts or mount something like a 1-6X variable scope which will allow use of the shotgun for its intended purpose. The rifle barrel was accurate, consistently shooting sub moa, provided the barrel was allowed to cool down between shots. If more than two shots were fired in quick succession shots would string vertically. I sold it to a friend who still owns and uses it. It is a useful tool on a farm but as a survival arm I really don't see its value. Firstly it is heavy, secondly a shotgun does not make sense as a survival arm. Twelve gauge ammo is heavy and bulky and wing shooting is not a very effective way of gathering food. The .222 is too destructive for hunting birds and edible small game and that will be what you hunt most in a survival situation.

In my opinion an accurate, suppressed .22lr rifle make a lot more sense for gathering protein in a survival situation than this combo. I tried hunting small game with a home made bow as a kid, you really do not want to spend that much time and energy on getting food in a survival situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Twenty years ago I owned a Tikka combination exactly like the one in the picture. initially i mounted a 3-9x40 scope on it and used it to shoot a springbok, vervet monkeys and a few guinea fowl with the .222 barrel and a few feral cats with the 12ga barrel. The .222 was quite destructive on the guineas and a 3-9x scope does not work well for wing shooting (I didn't have enough money for qd scope mounts). I then removed the scope and used the folding open sights for the rifle barrel, this limited my shots to 100m but I could use the shotgun for birds.

So, if you buy one, budget for decent qd scope mounts or mount something like a 1-6X variable scope which will allow use of the shotgun for its intended purpose. The rifle barrel was accurate, consistently shooting sub moa, provided the barrel was allowed to cool down between shots. If more than two shots were fired in quick succession shots would string vertically. I sold it to a friend who still owns and uses it. It is a useful tool on a farm but as a survival arm I really don't see its value. Firstly it is heavy, secondly a shotgun does not make sense as a survival arm. Twelve gauge ammo is heavy and bulky and wing shooting is not a very effective way of gathering food. The .222 is too destructive for hunting birds and edible small game and that will be what you hunt most in a survival situation.

In my opinion an accurate, suppressed .22lr rifle make a lot more sense for gathering protein in a survival situation than this combo. I tried hunting small game with a home made bow as a kid, you really do not want to spend that much time and energy on getting food in a survival situation.
    Good points mentioned here, but I was coming from a bushcraft perspective and not purely survival. I stand by my choice as I want to be able to shoot something in the air and on the ground. I get the merits of a .22, but I feel that it needs more range. In a situation where you are hunting for food, you want to be able to take any opportunity at what ever quarry comes your way and not be limited by range and power.

As for the weapons weight I cant argue there, but I am sure a bush crafter can mitigate this by changing his tactics in hunting. ie, bait, blinds tracking, waterholes etc. as this forms part of the whole bush craft schpeel. Build a little log safe for your extra 12ga rounds...lol

User

Quote Originally Posted by Juriew View Post
    Good points mentioned here, but I was coming from a bushcraft perspective and not purely survival. I stand by my choice as I want to be able to shoot something in the air and on the ground. I get the merits of a .22, but I feel that it needs more range. In a situation where you are hunting for food, you want to be able to take any opportunity at what ever quarry comes your way and not be limited by range and power.

As for the weapons weight I cant argue there, but I am sure a bush crafter can mitigate this by changing his tactics in hunting. ie, bait, blinds tracking, waterholes etc. as this forms part of the whole bush craft schpeel. Build a little log safe for your extra 12ga rounds...lol
    Well, if you need more range ánd wing shooting ability in one gun, a rifle shotgun combination is the only solution. The .222 barrel can be re-chambered to .223. I'm not sure what the rifling twist was but mine shot the 55gr Rhino Solid Shank and the 55gr PMP really well. For birds and hares at longer range a 55gr solid might work. Choke on the shotgun barrel is full, so when you flush a bird up close don't shoot too quickly or you won't have much left to eat.

User

Just the concept though, bushcraft, nothing to do with a firearm.

Check all the folk that lives in the wildernesses across the world, they might build a home from scratch using lumber etc, but as soon as they go hunting they take a real firearm, normally a big one, you make a big kill and the you live from it for a long time.
    Shooting small prey each day makes little sense in bushcraft since you normally need to spend your time doing other things.
    In north america a 30-06 will do but in big bear country I would chose my 338.

For example bushcraft in the bushveld, is that a .22?
    I think not, you need to walk around with a bit of lead in your cases.
    Is that a 223, I think not, even if one reasons you will have a 223 for hunting and an AR for self defense using the same round, not enough gun.
    One can buy yourself a bolt action 7.62x39 and have your AK variant for self defence, that makes more sense in a one cartridge setup.

In strict terms a bushcraft rifle, not survival rifle, it will be something bigger for all of us.

I think a 22lr or a 12g is all you'll need for a week or two

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast