Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Bushcraft gun - what would/do you choose/use?

Also like Kel-Tec Sub-2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually had to Google that..
    Kel-Tec Sub-2000
    Looks very cool, like a pistol meets a Roni... Could have rifle specs, I don't know..
    No idea what it would be like over 150m though..
    However I'm curious to see what people say I that topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    First 2 rifles that came to mind when I read this thread was a Ruger 10/22 but IMO better still the Ruger Mini 14 with folding stock, a small scope and short suppressor (maybe even chop the barrel a little shorter).

Should be able to carry more ammo than .410 and it's more flexable than a .22lr in the sense that you can take down bigger animals.
    Bushcraft and survival will be more about smaller animals than bigger animals. I would not like to eat a pigeon shot with a 223 but would not at all mind a duiker shot with a .22

User

There is a model 24 coming up on the next Classic Arms Auction. It is the plastic stocked version, which would not be my first choice.

Check it out, Lot no G49: http://www.classicarms.co.za/

User

BigMatt go have a look at MCQBushcraft channel on YouTube. In this video he discusses the two shotguns he uses.

If I remember correctly he did use a.22 somewhere as well. Very informative and good channel.

Banned

You are a man after my own heart! I have been an avid viewer and subscriber for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4558 View Post
    BigMatt go have a look at MCQBushcraft channel on YouTube. In this video he discusses the two shotguns he uses.

If I remember correctly he did use a.22 somewhere as well. Very informative and good channel.

Hi all.

This is a topic I'm very interested in and overy they years
    I have put a lots of thought in to it.

Here's my thoughts

Firstly what the he'll is a bush craft gun/rifle?is it a rifle small enough for shooting small animals for food?

Bushcraft rifle ,isn't it the same as what we already
    This is what I could think of as a bushcraft rifle.

1. Servival rifle
    2. Foregoing rifle
    3. Scout rifle
    4. Homesteadears rifle
    5. Trapper rifle.
    6. Cape gun
    7. Drilling/combination rifle

I think there's only two choices .22lr or 12ga.
    A 410 is usless and expensive.

I don't think one rifle can do it all .22lr is probably your best choice for one rifle followed buy a 12ga as a second rifle.
    I have a .22lr and a 357mag leaver action for (bushcraft)

Take a look at homesteaders of the past,hunters,explores ,trappers and adventures 99% had a 12ga shotgun followed buy .22lr and the a general purpose hunting rifle.

These calibers work for feeding your self and your family.

User

I have always liked the 410/22 model 24's but to be honest it won't be my first choice as a bushcraft survival gun as the 22 barrel cannot be surpressed. I don't think 1 gun can cover all situations and I believe multiple guns which can preferebly be silenced are better options. Personally I would go with something like a 10/22 with the Butler Creek folding stock and a 2-7 power scope. With a few Ruger factory 25 round mags this gun can double as a effective weapon in a defensive situation (not ideal but with a high rate of fire and no recoil a formidable weapon none the less). Personally I don't like takedown guns, but that is just me, that is why I would opt for the folding stock. I would back that up with a good quality 22 Pistol like a Ruger MK2, 4 inch barrel with a silencer and equiped with a 2 x power pistol scope like a Lynx or Leopold. A scoped 22 pistol with a silencer makes a ecellent small game gun that is always with you if you carry it in a good holster. Both guns should have enough extra magazines and 2 guns using the same ammo makes sense should you lose one or should one break, you can still use you ammo stash in the other one. The 22 pistol can be carried in a shoulder holster while the rifle can fit into your pack. I would opt as a 3rd gun a Howa Bolt action 223 the one with a 20 inch bull barrel, good scope silenced and with detachable mags. Reason for the 223 is that ammo will be easier to find when mine runs out and if you are a good shot and good hunter you can hunt larger game like Kudu and other antelope (This is a survival situation not ethical hunting). 223 Ammo is also much lighter than something like 308 and you can carry more of it. The 223 with a surpressor is also not very loud and surpresses far better than bigger calibres. If I was bugging out with my wife and we could carry more stuff I would ad a good 9mm pistol to the mix like a Glock 26 or a CZ PO7 for added security. (once again availability of ammo and comparative light weight). I will opt for quiet guns with surpressors because you are trying to survive and evade people not get into gunfights.

User

IMHO a lever action .357 would also make a pretty good pack rifle / survival gun. Easy to reload for with relativly long brass life, and a bit more potent than you would think. Lightweight and compact.

Banned

Have a look at the Chiappa Badger which is featured last in the clip below.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast