Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Peltor sport tac, and other ear protectors

Need a new hearing protector, I have 2 but I like the electronic type that still lets me hear the rest of the skirmish line when walking up.

Peltor make the sport Tac, which looks Ok. Are there any others to look at for a specific shotgun application.

User

Hi Ryan,

Deben makes very nice low profile ones, and Peltor also, but these you have to turn upside down. I think they got the signiage wrond on the mold, and when they realised it it was too late and they just left it.

What will you be using it for?

HI there Johann, I chose Sordin muffs, the Supreme pro actually, and will use them for all shooting.

User

Ryan where did you get them? Price?

Quote Originally Posted by claassdj View Post
    Ryan where did you get them? Price?
    Here you go, http://www.gunsite.co.za/shop/shop/h...preme-pro.html
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Craig, do the Sordin muffs (which look very nice, BTW) have an automatic cut off switch?
    I have one of the earlier Peltor electronic muffs- they were not very effective and did not really cut out high decibell sounds, like a rifle shot close by. Had a harsh clipping sound in the muff at time of shot, rather painful on the ears. Also, I would sometimes forget to switch them off (old age, y'know..) and when I wanted to use them again the batteries were dead. So I bought one of the newer digital Peltor sport tac muffs which are an absolute pleasure to use. Nice thing is they switch off automatically after a period of inactivity.
    I like the cutaway area on the Sordin muffs which should not interfere with the stock of a weapon when weapon is brought up to shoulder.

Thomast, here are two extracts which should answer your questions. Sordins appear to get the nod over other brands, but it personal preference at the end of the day.

"The MSA Sordin Supreme Pro earmuff is the most technologically advanced ear protection available on the market. This electronic earmuff utilizes New Compression Technology that eliminates clipping, and amplifies natural sound by four-times the natural level. There is no other earmuff that can compare to its advantages."

"The battery run time is 600 hours with the system automatically shutting down after four hours if no control button is operated in that time. About two minutes before auto shut down, a warning tone will be heard so that the shut down can be cancelled or postponed for another four hours by pressing any key. A tone is emitted when there is approximately 40 hours battery life remaining – this will be heard within 10 seconds of turning the ear defenders on."

It's often recommended to double up with plugs and muffs when shooting rifles / shotguns, just to be safe, this goes for all muffs.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I have a pair of MSA sordin's which I will test in the next week, from what I have seen they are great, and retailing for about R1500

User

Please let us know as I have to sets of Peltor's and have experienced the problems mention by Thormast.

Would be keen on the Sordin's if the auto "switch off"

User

I have used Peltor, Deben and MSA-Sordin, with the Debens being my first electronic hearing protectors and I then upgraded (imo) to Peltor and then to MSA.

I gave away the Debens and still have my Peltor and MSA -Sordin.

I have used the MSA Supreme Standard for the past year and I found it more comfortable and better performing overall than the Peltors and Debens and I have in the last week upgraded again to the Supreme Pro which has even better electronics than the Standard.

Also available at www.hailstromza.com.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast