Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Feedback - PTA store

I have been on the lookout for a new 9mm for quite a while as my 40S&W is a bit heavy on the pocket (don't get me wrong, I love my H&K) with regards to ammo and after speaking to a friend at the S&O store in Stellenbosch, he informs me that they have a special on Glocks. I am not a Glock fan per-say and there are other handguns I would much prefer over a Glock but they are still great quality, reliable and parts are easily available so I don't mind getting one. I confirm with my friend that they have stock at the Pretoria store and after work I head straight over to get me one. It was the G19 Gen3 by the way at R9900 which in my opinion is a great price for a great gun.

So I pitch up at the store and head over to the handgun section and start to talk to the sales guy and after I mention that I am a student and I would like to know if I can put down a deposit on the gun, his whole attitude changes all at once. He suddenly seems agitated and says that I have to put down the whole amount there and then in order to purchase the firearm after I explained that I just can't fork out R10k all at once. It's not that I don't have the money, I have it, I just don't want to empty my account all at once, I have money coming in in the next 2 weeks from contracts that I've completed. I don't know how long they will have stock and if it will be available after I get paid so I would like to put my name on one of the guns while they are still available.

Sure, I get that as a student I am not the first choice as a client but I have had similar arrangements with other dealers who were willing to meet me halfway but this guy just wasn't interested, he seemed like he wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible. I was and am still disappointed in the way the sales guy handled the whole situation and even though I am a student, that doesn't mean I deserve any less respect than another person and why is it so hard to make an exception to someone once in a while, a happy customer is a returning customer.

So I have decided that I will be visiting another dealer who is willing to make a compromise for me even though I have to pay a little bit more in the end. I would rather pay more for good service and someone willing to do business than those who are not.

User

Default Re: Feedback - PTA store

I've had mixed experiences at the JHB and PTA branches before.

If you flash money you're good to go. If you don't, it seems they don't care.
    If you say something is out of your budget, they stop caring immediately.

User

Sorry you had that experience mate. Im not sure you'll find many gunshops with those terms of sale. And I van completely understand why they dont. Its helluva admin when buyers disappear or stop paying and litigating to claw the debt back. Not even talking about the practicalities of licensing while under debt. Perhaps save up and then go do your purchase. Otherwise cityguns are (used to) running sales with those options.

And its not just gunshops that look at students that way! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    I've had mixed experiences at the JHB and PTA branches before.

If you flash money you're good to go. If you don't, it seems they don't care.
    This. Although the older gentlemen at the PTA branch tend to help more often than not

User

Quote Originally Posted by speensalf View Post
    Sorry you had that experience mate. Im not sure you'll find many gunshops with those terms of sale. And I van completely understand why they dont. Its helluva admin when buyers disappear or stop paying and litigating to claw the debt back. Not even talking about the practicalities of licensing while under debt. Perhaps save up and then go do your purchase. Otherwise cityguns are (used to) running sales with those options.

And its not just gunshops that look at students that way! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can understand that and if they want they can set out terms and say that if I don't pay X amount in X time then they will take X% of my deposit to cover their losses or whatever, at least be willing to try and make some sort of arrangement. Or just take 30 seconds to ask the store manager, at least make an effort, no matter how small. And be respectful at all times. I like telling people that I am a student because the reaction I get tells me a lot about that person, I don't always say that I can't afford something straight off the bat but if your attitude is going to change significantly based on where I find myself in life at that moment then that's your loss.

I found a dealer who is willing to meet me halfway with an HK P30, yes it will cost me R16k at the end of the day, but at least he is willing to go the extra mile and I don't even know guy at all, never met him before, we only spoke over the phone.

I have never had as bad experience at the Stellenbosch branch but at the PTA branch I am of the impression that they work on the basis of selling to one client a product at R100 is better than to sell products to 10 clients at R10

User

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    This. Although the older gentlemen at the PTA branch tend to help more often than not
    That older gentleman came from VLT. He's about the only one that understands that sometimes people just visit gunshops to look at stuff, because they're platsak. At S&O if someone asks you "can we help" and you say "nah, just browsing a bit, thanks" you become FLAT ignored and you're given the stink-eye. PTA branch, anyway.

User

I don't get the point of this thread.

It is obvious to me that S&O has a policy in place that does NOT allow lay-byes. Now you want to bitch because they enforce that policy?

Many other gun shops have the same policy in place.

There are a few which do do business that way... good on you for finding one that does... but throwing your toys because S&O didn't want to change their policy is stupid.

And the fact that you are a student has no impact on their willingness to change that policy. If I walked in there (and I am not a student) and tried to do the same thing, they would tell me to get stuffed as well.

If you don't like their policy, buy somewhere else.

User

Thing is, most shops have a no-lay-bye policy. However, I've seen many places that allow it on special occasions because it's obvious that many don't have thousands to spend on demand, or simply a limit. I think OP's issue is not their policy, but their attitude. Their attitude is so bad that I would rather pay a bit more and drive a bit further most of the time than to deal with them, to be honest.

User

Oh, OP, there's a G19 Gen 3 brand new on the forum for the same price you want to buy yours.

User

I wanted to buy a new rifle from the PTA store, they recently had a big sale and I was looking to buy a CZ 550. I asked them if I could give a deposit and the rest within a few days as I was waiting for my salary and the sale was about to end.

They refused to make any type of arrangements.

I did buy a new rifle and I feel satisfied that I got a better deal than I would have at SO. I ended up buying a complete package, scope and mounts. So in the end, their unwillingness to help me, cost them a deal, they lost out but I'm happy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast