Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Gun Warrior Alu chassis

Good looking chassis that ! Hope it performs as well as it looks !!

User

Gun is stock so far - definitely planning on a Timney or equivalent (next item on the list). I just really had to get some plan going for the stock since the standard Hogue was just such a hopeless match in terms of comb height and LOP.

Hopefully I'll be able to post comparative groups, before and after - so far I haven't been impressing myself, I've been using PMP 143gr FMJBT's though. I'll see what difference the stock makes, if any. It certainly fits me perfectly now, just a huge improvement in comfort/fit.

User

The first (round) target is from one of my first forays to the range, using the original Hogue stock. Let me quickly get my excuses in, because that's the done thing at this point - the stock didn't fit me of course, and I was using a towel as a rear bag....fail. Also, I may not have any actual skill at shooting a rifle *cough*. Anyway, this was at 100m using PMP 143gr FMJBT's.

20161205_194457.jpg

The following were all the targets I used today, using the new 'chassis'. Again, at 100m, using the same PMP 143gr FMJBT's. I believe there is a notable improvement, and of course it's just so much more pleasant to shoot, what with being able to actually have something approaching a usable and consistent cheek contact. Skill levels unfortunately remain relatively similar, with every five round group having at least one escapee vying for freedom. As for the function, all systems of the rifle worked perfectly (ie. magazine function, bolt movement etc), all tested prior to the range of course, but nice to know it goes bang properly.

20161205_193805_2.jpg

If anybody wants more commentary, I can do so, but lack the benefit of having used other 'chassis' systems, so have no prior experiences to compare this to. I am very happy with what I've got though, this has ticked almost all the boxes I mentioned in the 'Howa stock' thread.

User

Took my .308 Remington in yesterday to have a chassis made. Also having a silencer fitted at the same time.

Now the wait starts - they only have the measurements for a Remington long action and of course I have the short. So Warren said it might take a week or so to have it made up.

User

2017-02-03 06.24.34.jpg20170201_153155.jpg

Went and picked it up from Warren on Tuesday. Cannot wait to get to the range tomorrow for a test drive

User

Love it! Congrats

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

And, finally, feeding the rifle some decent ammo, with some practice, I get better results - the better group (both at 100m) is Hornady 165gr SST, with the other group being the PMP 143gr FMJBT:

All of the Hornady ammo I fired was very precise - all groups were very tight, most were touching (several three round groups, the one I fired just after the target above was one hole). I was impressed with the ammo!

User

ARM505, your gun looks awesome! How is the recoil on this stock?

User

Thanks, all credit to the guys at Gunwarrior though - given that it's a pretty heavy stock (you really wouldn't want to lug this around the field I reckon), and it's just a .308, recoil is what I would call relatively easy to handle? One of the options they offer is a softer recoil pad, it's probably a good idea to take it - the standard one which I have is hard-ish. The cheek piece is also metal, I plan on adding a layer of leather (or something), really just to avoid being slightly slippery from sweat.

I also added a Timney trigger, which is nice. Next up is the magazine bottom metal adapter because reasons.

User

That looks really good. I am also toying with the idea to go this route. Keep us updated on the performance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast