Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default .22 for self defence

Guys

In the hypothetical case where one had to use .22 LR rifle for self defence, what would the best type of ammo be? I don't know the types available on the market, but I'm sure there must be a range of bullet types. I guess the one with the best penetration ability would be suitable?

High velocity solids. 40gr. No hps.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I agree with SSP.

i would seriously not consider .22LR, but i would also go round nose high velocity and look at the makes like winchester or Remington etc. I still have quite a few Swartklip oxes of ammo, but will only look at the premium stuff when that is all shot out...

if one was to use a .22LR or even a .22WMR i would think that shot placement would be of supreme importance, as i believe a round to a non-critical area will not result in the same reaction as say a non-critical wound from a serious caliber such as a 9mmP, 40S&W, 45ACP or a 357Mag.

One can still expect that a person hit with one of those rounds in a non-critical area will be in a reasonable amount of pain and sustain relative damage that it may take them out the fight, where this is possible from a .22LR or WMR it is more unlikely, but a 22 in the right place will 'kill ya dead' just the same as a heavy caliber pistol round, and if so, 'ya dun good'

User

I guess that's the date when all the shooting at muisvoels and pigeons as a boy, would pay off.

Sparky, is that the only firearm you have for SD ? if so i might recommend going to your local gunshop and buying something with decent stopping power... trust me i made a similar mistake when i first joined up here asking if anyone had a cheapy that they wanted to get rid of.. well i tell you i was almost torn a new one.. besides a good 357 Astra or something could go anyware from 300 - 600 if i am not mistaken

User

Well it's all I have right now, so just in case..
    But I'm waiting for my SD license, for an old thing I inherited. Now I'm in the market for a decent new pistol, and I'm wondering if I should apply already for a new SD license and cancel the first which is still in process, if that's even possible.

yes cancelling a current application is possible as far as i know, you need to begin with your DFO though to brief you...

Good advice here to upgrade your armament and you really, really need a CCW pistol that you carry everywhere...maybe even in your home. Still, if the .22 is what you have now it beats the heck out of a sharp stick.

Practice with it, make sure to load it with top quality ammo (.40gr solids for sure) and you will be much better off than the thousands of people who have voluntarily disarmed themselves in the face of one of the highest violent crime per-capita rates in the world (and that is with the SAPS doing everything they can to fudge the stats)...assuming you can get to it when you need it.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast