Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default 308 511m headshot wildebeest.

Came across this on facebook today,
    511m
    155gr Amax
    12mph crosswind

User

Default Re: 308 511m headshot wildebeest.

Daniel55.......all i can say is that this leaves me stone cold. this is not hunting by any stretch of the imagination. a shot,let alone a head shot,at an animal at this distance is irresponsible. for one the head of an animal is the most mobile part ......constantly moving,and with a bullet flight time of over half a second,there is no way of knowing if that animal would move before the bullet got there. it just sickens me that these people call themselves hunters and actually post shit like this on social media. it gives the totally wrong impression of what hunting is about. i will take a bet that for every successfull shot taken at over 500m there is a equal amount of f**k ups. if these people get their jollies out of doing this then keep it the f**k to yourself.

User

Impressive shot! But I can't help but criticize him that he shot almost directly in the direction of an area that seems it could have people walking around there. Impressive shot, but not particularly safe...

User

Daniel...sorry boet....not meant to be an attack on you in any way......hope i didnt give you that impression

User

Pre-64, totally agree with you. To try a headshot at 500meters is irresponsible. Can this so called hunter and PH repeatably hit a tennis bal size target at that distance? If not, they should have kept this to themselves.
    Go shoot Bisley-F class if you want to proof yourself.
    If it was on my farm, I would have chased them away.

User

Tis not the distance that's the problem, 500m is an easy shot for many, the platform and environmentals is the problem.

Doing it from the back of a bakkie with the wind blowing, that is the trick. I wish they could post a video of the scope drift at 500m from the back of a bakkie when the wind is blowing, all over target.

People should try it and see, doesn't matter how good you are statistically it's luck if you hit the target.

But those energy drinks(when "hunting" from a bakkie).......mmm, such massive caffeine before the shoot, mmmm, perhaps a late night before?

User

Pre 64, I agree with you but also disagree with you. Some guys have the skill and equipment to do long range hunting.

Is it hunting when it is such a long range? No real hunting skills (stalking, bush craft etc) required, more shooting skill. This is a debate all on its own.

What pisses me off about this video is the fact that this fucknut took a head shot at that distance (all the reasons pre 64 stated) and shot with farm buildings directly in his shooting lane!

This guy is the epitome of being an irresponsible cunt!

User

Lucky shot. I will also bet that they edited out the part where he gets his dope from from an app, right before they added that nancy boy music.

Hope he has a comfortable pair of boots next time they go out.

IMO, only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Tis not the distance that's the problem, 500m is an easy shot for many, the platform and environmentals is the problem.

Doing it from the back of a bakkie with the wind blowing, that is the trick. I wish they could post a video of the scope drift at 500m from the back of a bakkie when the wind is blowing, all over target.

People should try it and see, doesn't matter how good you are statistically it's luck if you hit the target.
    Ja, I have to agree (and with pre 64, Finklestein and Wesley).

I have participated in enough 500m and further competitions, shooting at stationary paper targets, off a rest or whilst prone, to know that hitting an animal whose head moves constantly at those distances, especially in the wind, involves a lot of luck.

It is irresponsible and should not be encouraged. It may be shooting, but I would not call it hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Daniel55.......all i can say is that this leaves me stone cold. this is not hunting by any stretch of the imagination. a shot,let alone a head shot,at an animal at this distance is irresponsible. for one the head of an animal is the most mobile part ......constantly moving,and with a bullet flight time of over half a second,there is no way of knowing if that animal would move before the bullet got there. it just sickens me that these people call themselves hunters and actually post shit like this on social media. it gives the totally wrong impression of what hunting is about. i will take a bet that for every successfull shot taken at over 500m there is a equal amount of f**k ups. if these people get their jollies out of doing this then keep it the f**k to yourself.
    I don't think you quite understand what long range hunting is. This is a different ball game to any other type of hunting. Far far from the traditional.
    IMO this is not at all irresponsible. This isn't Kentucky windage, remember; this is practical, calculated, practiced. Just like 'traditional' hunting.

My longest kill is only 470m, but I know that I am capable of making consistent hits out to 720m. I have the confidence -depending on barometric pressure, wind gusts and shooting position- to shoot animals out to any distance between that.
    You might argue that this isn't hunting, but it is as much 'hunting' as it is in the traditional sense; but of course different.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast