Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 308 511m headshot wildebeest.

Messor.....ja,saw the energy drinks but there were too many other fails in the clip to even mention that. each time i generalise on some subject,you find a way in under my armour. you say a 500m shot is easy for many....yes.....but......that "many"are shooters who have taken the sport to a level not attainable by the average hunter. hazard a guess at how many riflemen in this country could under ideal conditions hit an orange at 500m 5 shots for 5? 30? now guess how many of those 30 could hit that orange the same 5 shots for 5 ,as you say,in a wind off the back of a bakkie.....i would say....not one.

Shite, I can finally see the end of the video showing the buildings!

Really responsible and safe firearm handling all around. Great ambassadors for the shooting sports.

User

Pre64, no problem, this video was posted for discussion purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Theron2033 View Post
    I don't think you quite understand what long range hunting is. This is a different ball game to any other type of hunting. Far far from the traditional.
    IMO this is not at all irresponsible. This isn't Kentucky windage, remember; this is practical, calculated, practiced. Just like 'traditional' hunting.

My longest kill is only 470m, but I know that I am capable of making consistent hits out to 720m. I have the confidence -depending on barometric pressure, wind gusts and shooting position- to shoot animals out to any distance between that.
    You might argue that this isn't hunting, but it is as much 'hunting' as it is in the traditional sense; but of course different.
    I doubt anyone thought that it was Kentucky windage, but even in perfect conditions, you cannot tell if, when and how much the animal will move, so hitting it in the head at those ranges takes as muchnluck as it does skill.

Do you think you could pull off headshots every time at 500m, even with no wind at animals that move? I doubt it.

Our local club has two world champion F- class shooters in it and even they can miss the x at 500m on a stationary paper target using a rest, from time to time.
    Last edited by nkosi; 07-07-2016 at 16:09.

User

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Do you think you could pull off headshots every time at 500m, even with no wind at animals that move? I doubt it.
    I haven't practiced at moving targets that far so I won't attempt it at that distance. But I get what you're saying.

User

Theron2033.....no,no,no, i know exactly what long range hunting and all forms of traditional hunting are about. my grandfathers sister could shoot running springbuck in the head in a crosswind with her 7x57 at 500m and that was off a horse and long before you and i were even born

User

I know the gentleman in the video that took the shot and can comfortably state that it would not be a "late night" or lets call it drinking the night before that woud require the drink of the energy drink.

To Pre 64 and others, Would I have taken a head shot at 511m from the back of the cruiser, probably not? But as Theron above said it is a form of hunting, i know for sure that an app would have been used before the shot was taken. It would have been very unwise to do it without it, also the animal was ranged with a good rangefinder as well as Density Altitude and wind speeds measured with a proper weather station prior to the shot being taken.

Hunting at long ranges are another form of hunting, some enjoy it. I hunt in the bushveld every year and enjoy it immensely, but are starting to enjoy long range hunting as much bushveld. It does take commitment though and definately takes a lot of practice to know your capabilities. And yes I agree with the poster about the tennis ball size group at the distance for the head shot. Just know that it is not at all that difficult to achieve with the right equipment under the right conditions......

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Theron2033.....no,no,no, i know exactly what long range hunting and all forms of traditional hunting are about. my grandfathers sister could shoot running springbuck in the head in a crosswind with her 7x57 at 500m and that was off a horse and long before you and i were even born
    Okay, I was just checking that you understood what is meant and that it isn't just some cowboys going out and shooting things on the horizon

User

maroelas.....you really have an eloquent turn of phrase in describing these asses,i couldnt have put it better

User

But the sister must have been a great cowboy shooting running springbuck from the back of a horse :-)

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast