Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: 308 511m headshot wildebeest.

Maroelas, don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel.

User

JPS....if a video was made about long range shooting,with all the variables being shown,with all the load developement,practice,equipment needs and a whole host of other info explained,and then this video ended with an animal being shot at 500m , and then explaining what could go wrong,and the pitfalls involved it would cast a different light on the matter. as it was done however,...not acceptable

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    JPS....if a video was made about long range shooting,with all the variables being shown,with all the load developement,practice,equipment needs and a whole host of other info explained,and then this video ended with an animal being shot at 500m , and then explaining what could go wrong,and the pitfalls involved it would cast a different light on the matter. as it was done however,...not acceptable
    Got you.

User

If we only focus on the criteria in the video, shooting from the back of a bakkie, in wind, at 511m.

Right, no wind meter will help you when the wind is blowing the vehicle around.
    Secondly, the target requires a MOA or less accuracy, the brain of the animal, to make a kill.
    Most people cannot shoot MOA at 500m in perfect conditions, expert shooters cannot shoot MOA if the wind is blowing their platform around.

It's not a debate about all long range hunters, or other people, it's a debate about the facts on hand.
    If you take all the evidence into account the shot was an irresponsible one, and that's about it, no use in defending it.

User

spoilsport

User

Messor,

I am not trying to defend this shot or the posting of the video, I stated that I would most likely not take that shot from the cruiser. When I hunt over long distances I do it from a stable (lie on the ground, same as when I shoot f Class) platform and also wait for the right conditions and I personally do not take any headshots over lnger distances, but thats just me. I was trying to clear up some misconceptions / assumptions from guys jumping on the band wagon on the post regarding long range hunting.

Have a great day.
    Regards
    Jan

User

I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about hunting. But from a layman eye that looks like a professional setup and it seems like high class equipment was used. Damn impressive shooting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

vega5....nothing that fancy about his equipment. not impressive shooting . it is for exactly the reason that inexperienced hunters will get the wrong impression that we are stating how irresponsible it really is. the reality is that the next shot will be 2 inches low,the animals jaw will be shot off and it will suffer for 3 or 4 days before dying of hunger or thirst. that is the harsh reality. also nothing proffesional about shooting off the back of a cruiser.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    vega5....nothing that fancy about his equipment. not impressive shooting . it is for exactly the reason that inexperienced hunters will get the wrong impression that we are stating how irresponsible it really is. the reality is that the next shot will be 2 inches low,the animals jaw will be shot off and it will suffer for 3 or 4 days before dying of hunger or thirst. that is the harsh reality. also nothing proffesional about shooting off the back of a cruiser.
    I hear your argument. But is there no reasonable way for those distances to be ethical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Vega,

look at Pre 64 post #22 it kind of sums it up. Long shots are very possible, but head shots at long distances is very dicey to say the least. The issue here is as mentioned in Messors post #24.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast