Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Light use review - Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter

I recently got hold of this Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter out of curiosity mainly.

Some specs from Cold Steel.

• Name: Ultimate Hunter
    • Blade Length: 3-1/2"
    • Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm
    • Handle: 5" G10
    • Overall: 8-1/2"
    • Steel: Carpenter CTS-XHP Alloy
    • Pocket Clip: Ambidextrous Pocket / Belt Clip
    • Weight: 4.9 oz.
    • Made in Taiwan

Some tests done on the lock by Cold Steel (I generally take these videos as more entertainment really).

Mine came in the older packaging.

Initial sharpness test. Aggressive edge, shaving with some effort.

I used the knife for some small tasks around the house. Cutting dead branches, cutting greener branches with a slight chopping motion holding the blade lower on the handle for snap cuts. The knife proved to have no issue operating it with gloves.

Then cut up some old dirty cardboard.

Whittled some wood. Harder cuts shown first, and finer cuts shown second. Both were alright, but dropping the edge angle would dramatically increase performance in this aspect.

How the knife looked after the work.

Default Re: Light use review - Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter

Final sharpness test. Slightly duller.

Washed the knife and with Sunlight dish washing soap over the handle grip remained secure.

After some additional use I sharpened the blade.

Bevel was around 20 degrees on the one side (presentation side) and 12 degrees on the other side (back side). So sharpening on a Sharpmaker one could easily see the 15 dps would micro bevel the one side and hit the shoulders on the other side.

Back side with micro bevel.

I swapped the stones to the 20 degree slots and one would start to hit the entire edge on the presentation side.

After this I decided to reshape the edge.

The low angle side (back side) was easy of coarse as my freehand sharpening tend to be around 10-12 degrees. The only place I needed to spend more time on was towards the base of the edge.

20 degree per side (presentation side) took a bit longer but the bevel was more consistent towards the base of the edge.

I ran 320 - 600 (diamond stones) and the UF ceramic stone. Results were a nicely polished edge.

Thoughts thus far.

1) The design of the blade remains utilitarian and a good general use blade profile. It is very similar to my initial Model 1 Sodbuster Framelock design, but with a tri-ad lock. My attempts to design a back-lock/mid-lock Model 1 has resulted in a very similar looking blade. So this knife cured my curiosity on what would a Model 1 function like with a midlock.

2) The knife is really well finished for the price. Similar to that of Spyderco Endura, no 60 grit finishes all over the place (lately seen customs in the $1000 range and midtechs in the $500 range with tooling marks etc that leaves my mind boggled). Only one small area on the lockbar on the inside of the frame is rough. As a maker myself this just proves that attention to detail inside and out is vitally important.

3) CTS-XHP: From sharpening it feels and takes a polish more like RWL-34 than D2. This surprised me. So far I am enjoying it.

User

Thanks Marthinus. Very informative review.

Hey Mart, how do you like that steel for edge-holding?

Quote Originally Posted by drie57 View Post
    Thanks Marthinus. Very informative review.
    A pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Hump View Post
    Hey Mart, how do you like that steel for edge-holding?
    So far, very similar to CPM154 and RWL34.

After some research going through patent info found out it was a re-branding of a 440C class product. Exactly the class that RWL34/CPM154 etc are.

On a par with VG-10 then?

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    A pleasure.

So far, very similar to CPM154 and RWL34.

After some research going through patent info found out it was a re-branding of a 440C class product. Exactly the class that RWL34/CPM154 etc are.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Hump View Post
    On a par with VG-10 then?
    Slightly better due to the powdered process.

Marthinus, what does this baby price?

Quote Originally Posted by texasruan View Post
    Marthinus, what does this baby price?
    Locally around 3k. Overseas you can pick them up for around half that excluding postage and tax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast