Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kevlar socks for those who like the quietness of hunting barefoot.

Interesting, thanks Gertjie. I'll go look for some articles. The Fish River was booked and just before we paid we found out that my wife was pregnant. It's still on the list, though.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Interesting, thanks Gertjie. I'll go look for some articles. The Fish River was booked and just before we paid we found out that my wife was pregnant. It's still on the list, though.
    You will not be sorry i can promise you that. Remember a small fishing rod fishing in the canyon is epic

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    You will not be sorry i can promise you that. Remember a small fishing rod fishing in the canyon is epic
    Good to know. This hike is also on my bucket list (did the Otter Trail a couple of years back and loved it!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

when i bowhunt, i walk in socks. and what that has taught me is.. if you get a thorn in your foot, you are walking TOO FAST and not ensuring quiet and deliberate foot placement. something most rifle hunters think they understand but will probably never.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Regardless of what gertjie has said, I wouldn't do the Fish in normal cut shoes ever again. It wasn't funny in 2004 when I was young and fit. The fields of boulders toward the end of the hike was the worst part.

User

I must say I am with Gertjie87 on the barefoot issue. I don't go as far as him with the Vibrams, but I wear similar flat (no heel) shoes with a thin rubber sole that you can feel the structure under your feet. A good compromise. Although I have had one Karoo dooring go right through the shoe before. What I do notice is that they walk a lot quieter than boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Although I have had one Karoo dooring go right through the shoe before. What I do notice is that they walk a lot quieter than boots.
    Not when the thorn went through i'll bet .
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

I haven't been brave enough to try the Vibram 5 finger shoes yet but I also moved from a 7/365 Magnum boot guy to a low cut Hi-tec Figaros with flat Vibram sole. They they very little padding and are like walking barefoot, with extra grip and some sharp object protection. I am quite devastated I eventually broken them even though I had worn the tread flat in places . I still wear them every so often simply because I can't find a decent replacement. I fell in love with Vibram after my first pair of Merrels ( Chameleon 1s) but I haven't found anything as nice worth the price since.

I've had foot ops and even a bone removed from one foot and I swear by the flat Vibram shoes.

Although the added ankle support from boots have saved me a sprain or two. I am unable to walk and chew gum.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Not when the thorn went through i'll bet .

Funny enough you only feel the pain once the hunt is over. A bit like recoil, you only feel it on the range...

User

when i bowhunt, i walk in socks. and what that has taught me is.. if you get a thorn in your foot, you are walking TOO FAST and not ensuring quiet and deliberate foot placement. something most rifle hunters think they understand but will probably never

They probably don't try to, don't need to, noise is not the problem.
    Try running after an animal in socks, my feet would be stuffed very soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2