Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guard Dog

User

Default Guard Dog

Hi Gents

Are there any pups for sale on the forum? Moving to a house at the end of the month and looking for a family pet which will be able to guard my premise as well.

Cheers

User

Default Re: Guard Dog

Eish, Patroon, those are two completely different things. I'd suggest you pick one role for the dog. If that is guarding, be prepared to put in a massive amount of effort into it. If you want a dog for "shock-and-awe" value, the answer may be slightly different. Sorry for the negative answer.

I think Prado is correct. We bought a Beagle as family dog. As they are in the top 5 as family dogs. They het incredibly attached to families and your gonna fail a huge test if you think they want to outside when the family is home.
    Anycase I think there is a difference between a dedicated family dog and a security type dog. As their temperaments and nature are completely different.

I however have heard a female dog is a lot more aggressive over a property or area then a male dog.

User

did a topic on very similar thing
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ue-man-stopper
    guarding ability needs to be in bred but getting dog to actually follow threw requires hours and years of training

Mayb the OP meant a family dog that will be alert to its surroundings rather than a dedicated dog outside....a dog outside serves little purpose as protection as dogs are usually poisend or regularly visited in order to gain the dogs trust i recently bought a female staffy( stafordshire bull terrior) this dog is extreamly loving towards myself and my girlfriend as they are very family orientated and likes to follow us around but this specific bread is also a very alert dog and does not stand back to unwelcome guests as she has already given us very accurate signals if someone is in ouer garden....(maintanance) regardless ALMOST all dogs are capable of this kind of behavour although it is a lot of work most terrior breeds i believ will serve ur purpose if you are only to have 1 dog and establish dominance they are good with small children to and dont really protect property i.e your house but will most def attack if they see someone is trying to harm you or your family hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by remington ax View Post
    hope this helps
    It does not.

Spelling and punctuation would though.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Bouvier des Flanders for a win.

Teach them the basic obedience and not too much. The saying amongst Bouvier owners is that the race has a problem with men, except for their one boss. They are highly protective yet very good with kids.

When I started dating my wife her dog would check up on me regularly.

There used to be very good blood lines around Belfast/Middelburg, but that was a while ago.

Be aware of small Bouviers - the race is usually big (38kg-50kg) but somehow some of them are as small as sheep dogs. I think that these are inbred but I am not sure.

When choosing dogs you must first understand the role that you want them to fill.

I am unsure what you mean by "guard" dog. Do you mean a dog that is going to alert you to someone's presence? Do you mean a dog that is going to act independently to keep people out of your yard? Do you mean a personal protection dog?

Your answer will inform replies.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    It does not.

Spelling and punctuation would though.
    I am actually afrikaans speaking......thanx for being petty though, the world needs people like you...

Quote Originally Posted by remington ax View Post
    I am actually afrikaans speaking......thanx for being petty though, the world needs people like you...
    Does afrikaans not use punctuation?

Spell check is free.

If you want your posts, on a serious topic, to be taken seriously by your readers then you should show them the respect and courtesy that they deserve. This means, I am afraid, taking a few moments to express yourself properly using punctuation and correct spelling.

If you type on this forum like it is a whatsapp message to your girlfriend you will not be taken seriously at all.

This is not an invitation to a debate on the relative merits of the correct use of language in effective communication, and unless your next post is aimed at advancing this thread's original direction - don't bother posting.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast