Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Guard Dog

User

Default Re: Guard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Well if you want me to stay away from your home. Get a Doberman. I honestly have an internal Psychological fear for these dogs. Ever since I was young. Even the Magnum PI series in 80's did not get me over them. Even more then a Pit bull. But Pit Bulls must never be considered as family dogs. As they tend to sometimes go off at the kids and owners.
    your ignorance astounds me.

But Pit bulls are the only once that are regularly in the news for biting people and or kids. Honestly havent seen other breeds in news where they turned on the owners or kids.
    This is merely a function of prejudice against the breed, the breed's physical capabilities and identification - in the same way as lay people call any rifle with a box magazine an AK.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

From the plastic surgeon (specializes in bites etc) that treated my Mother-in-law by far most of his patients are mauled by Boerboels.

Both Pitbulls and Boerboels suffer from the same problem, stupid people (I include my parents in law in this) who want to buy an improperly bred guard dog for few hundred rands and spent zero on training thinking they will fine because the dog slept on the bed as a puppy.

User

But Pit bulls are the only once that are regularly in the news for biting people and or kids. Honestly havent seen other breeds in news where they turned on the owners or kids.
    I've seen more Boerboels in the news than Pit Bulls, bud. Most people are chowed by those.

EDIT: Oh, check the new page before posting...

User

Googly nanny dog, you will find the result is the pit bull.
    Our pitbull and labrador are very good with our kids, we've trained the dogs to understand where they fit in the pecking order.

User

Oh, to add to the thread - as a family dog, get a Labrador (specifically golden retriever) or a Husky, and then get another dog (such as a German Shepard) for protection. For waking up Earth when someone lets a silent fart in an underground bunker in China at night, get a Jack Russel.

User

I grew up with Labradors and Staffies and can attest to what wonderful dogs they are for families with kids. A Labrador will unfortunately try to lick a burglar to death or alternatively try to play him to death by "arm falling off due to having to throw the ball/Frisbee/object repeatedly".

Staffies are protective about their owners and territory as stated. We had one that followed my mom everywhere to the point of sitting almost on my mom's foot if my mom was stationary. Another sacrificed himself to kill a massive black mamba that came onto the yard (yes, yes snake lovers, at 8 years old I didn't know better and even now I'm still not prepared to try and separate a protective Staffie from a very angry mamba). The Staffies are pretty busy dogs though and need plenty of space. Much as I'd love to have one again, I'm not going to get one while living in the city, large stand as I currently reside on or not. I don't have the time to give such a dog sufficient exercise by walking.

Funny but nostalgic comment to close. The Labradors usually came to cower inside when a snake was found. But not always: one day my dad went walking around on the smallholding and the Labrador joined him. The Labrador thought it good to "retrieve" a puffadder. The puffadder didn't like it one bit and the dog got bitten in the face multiple times. The dog made it but her immune system or something was not lekker thereafter. She died less than a year later from some other illness. And so passed the best fielder of our lawn cricket games, hero of the swimming pool and pretty handy hunting dog to boot. Still miss that dog.

User

I have lovely pitbull pups, if you are intrested. The father of the pups is registered as well.

User

We currently own 5 dogs at home, 3 pavement specials, 1 being a pitbul and 1 being a jack Russel and that is the perfect combo, we have video footage of two separate incidents where they tried to enter our property and both times the jack Russel sounds the alarm and the pitbul handles the dirty work, both times nobody was home, both times the dog defended the property, he is male and an absolute gem with my 2 year old child, the only training he has had was socializing as a puppy. don't know if that's any help, just my own hands on experience. not some shit i read in the news.

User

So true socializing at a young age is very very important.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast