Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Guard Dog

User

Default Re: Guard Dog

I am very much a Rottweiler fan, but like many other breeds, require a lot of attention and discipline to thrive.

If you screw up with a lab, you'll have an angry lab. If you screw up with a Rott/GSD you have a DMD.

As with everything in life, with a dog you get out what you've put in. I love mine to bits and she's awesome with my month old baby. Our maid, whom she likes, is not allowed inside the baby's room when she is around. We have taught her to be ok and relax when we tell her to, otherwise the house would never be cleaned.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Patroon View Post
    Hi Gents

Are there any pups for sale on the forum? Moving to a house at the end of the month and looking for a family pet which will be able to guard my premise as well.

Cheers
    I won't give advice on a specific bread, because I don't know your circumstances, but...

Whatever dog you decide to get, do your research on the breed and see if you can accommodate the dog.
    Some breeds require more effort than others, if the dog doesn't get what it needs, you end up with a "bad dog".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    I grew up with Labradors and Staffies and can attest to what wonderful dogs they are for families with kids. A Labrador will unfortunately try to lick a burglar to death or alternatively try to play him to death by "arm falling off due to having to throw the ball/Frisbee/object repeatedly".

Staffies are protective about their owners and territory as stated. We had one that followed my mom everywhere to the point of sitting almost on my mom's foot if my mom was stationary. Another sacrificed himself to kill a massive black mamba that came onto the yard (yes, yes snake lovers, at 8 years old I didn't know better and even now I'm still not prepared to try and separate a protective Staffie from a very angry mamba). The Staffies are pretty busy dogs though and need plenty of space. Much as I'd love to have one again, I'm not going to get one while living in the city, large stand as I currently reside on or not. I don't have the time to give such a dog sufficient exercise by walking.

Funny but nostalgic comment to close. The Labradors usually came to cower inside when a snake was found. But not always: one day my dad went walking around on the smallholding and the Labrador joined him. The Labrador thought it good to "retrieve" a puffadder. The puffadder didn't like it one bit and the dog got bitten in the face multiple times. The dog made it but her immune system or something was not lekker thereafter. She died less than a year later from some other illness. And so passed the best fielder of our lawn cricket games, hero of the swimming pool and pretty handy hunting dog to boot. Still miss that dog.

no lies here, we currently reside in a complex and if we dont take the staffs out they have a 30min non stop frenzy of sprinting between the front and back garden, currently in the process of buying free standing 1800m plot, but ths has its own issues with regards to security, but hey at least the mutts will be in heaven haha:)

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    agree 100% its how they are raised, any dog can lose it.

my neighbour lost a finger to his mates jack russel,
    +1

User

Your neighbour too? Fuck me, we should shoot all Jack Russels.

User

Hahahaha, sorry Proudprado. I was only referring to the first line of the quote.

"agree 100% its how they are raised, any dog can lose it"

Jack Russells are awesome dogs!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4558 View Post
    Hahahaha, sorry Proudprado. I was only referring to the first line of the quote.

"agree 100% its how they are raised, any dog can lose it"

Jack Russells are awesome dogs!
    I have had angry Labradors, scared Pitbulls and over friendly German Shephards. The breed really is less important than the training.

One thing about Boerboels though, they can be schizo, beware the man that takes that for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    I won't give advice on a specific bread, because I don't know your circumstances, but...

Whatever dog you decide to get, do your research on the breed and see if you can accommodate the dog.
    Some breeds require more effort than others, if the dog doesn't get what it needs, you end up with a "bad dog".
    +100
    I love all dogs and try and research as much as I can about various breeds.
    I honestly believe that there is no bad domesticated dog breed, just bad "application". My understanding of domesticated animals is exactly that ... they were domesticated for with a specific "application" / purpose in mind...
    I know I'm not giving an answer to the initial question and believe their is no clear one....
    Personal circumstances, household personalities, household environment, ability to train and "entertain" the dog are only a few factors that should be taken into account when evaluating a dog breed's suitability for the "application" / purpose.
    Choosing a dog is not to be taken lightly, it is supposed to be your "best friend" and one should be committed to having this friend for as long as the life expectation of the relevant breed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    The Labrador thought it good to "retrieve" a puffadder. The puffadder didn't like it one bit and the dog got bitten in the face multiple times. The dog made it but her immune system or something was not lekker thereafter. She died less than a year later from some other illness. And so passed the best fielder of our lawn cricket games, hero of the swimming pool and pretty handy hunting dog to boot. Still miss that dog.
    I have a dog who used to love to play with snakes and alligators. She would "dance" in and out with them and thought it was great fun. I caught a couple of large non-poisonous snakes and put on her e-collar. When she jumped in at a snake, I zapped her with the highest setting. Once more she was zapped when jumping in and she wouldn't go within 20 feet of a snake after that.
    Later she tried the same thing with a small 5 ft. alligator. I caught the gator and did the same thing. She hasn't tried the snake dance since and it's been 8 years.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    I have a dog who used to love to play with snakes and alligators. She would "dance" in and out with them and thought it was great fun. I caught a couple of large non-poisonous snakes and put on her e-collar. When she jumped in at a snake, I zapped her with the highest setting. Once more she was zapped when jumping in and she wouldn't go within 20 feet of a snake after that.
    Later she tried the same thing with a small 5 ft. alligator. I caught the gator and did the same thing. She hasn't tried the snake dance since and it's been 8 years.
    And then these wussies come along and say my dog's "feelings" are more important or there are other ways. All ways they list include the owner's presence -as if my dog won't continue when I'm not around.
    Righteous little dicks they are!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast