Thread: Skinner's Horse

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Skinner's Horse

For those with an interest in such, long read but worth it. Sadly the links of this and South Africa have been effectively overlayed and compressed out of existence. I feel very sad for it .

"Himmat-i-Mardan, Madad-e-Khuda".
    ("Courage of man and help of God".)

Colonel James Skinner was born to Scottish father and Rajput princess in 1778. His mixed blood could not get him a commission in the Honourable East India Company’s service but his outright martial skills and generosity for his men of ‘Hindoostan’ paved the way for Captain Skinner’s Corps of Irregular Cavalry, famous for it’s yellow uniforms (unique in the world and earning them the nickname the “Yellow Boys”) to be formed on February 23, 1803.

James Skinner first fought under General De Boigne, the powerful commander of the forces of Maharajah Scindia, until the British army under Lord Lake defeated the Marathas led by General Perron. Eight hundred men on horses offered their services on one condition - they wished to be led by James Skinner, who was made a captain in the HEIC army.

Skinner’s Horse served with great distinction for many years and in 1826 James Skinner was to be made a Companion of the Bath until it was realised that he was not of high enough rank (at this time he was a major). This led to his promotion to Lieutenant-Colonel, although he held the rank of Brigadier locally.

As a result of his birth and of a career spent partly with the Marathas and partly with the British, Skinner moved between two worlds. His childhood memories of an Indian mother as well as his early years of fighting in central India, tied him to the Indian world. His domestic habits were more Indian than British; and he had a large family by, it is said, 14 wives.

His town house in Delhi was a fine mansion with high colonnades in the classical manner, but with zenana quarters and Indian marble baths. At Hansi and Belaspore, in his country houses, he lived like an Indian landlord, taking a great interest in the cultivation of his estates. Many of his friends recalled the delicious Indian food, good conversation and relaxation with the hookah.

He spoke the local dialect fluently and to the end of his life wrote Persian more easily that English. He knew the name and village of origin of all his soldiers, inviting men of all ranks to his feasts.

After an illustrious military career James Skinner died in December 1841 at the age of 63. He was buried at Hansi with full military honours, his funeral cortege consisting of a long line of his beloved “Yellow Boys”.*

The regiment continued after Skinner’s death and in 1861 was renamed the 1st Bengal Cavalry as part of the post-Mutiny civil and military changes.

Latterly it was re-classified as:

the 1st Bengal Lancers in 1896
    1st (The Duke of York’s Own) Regiment of Bengal Lancers in 1899
    1st (Duke of York’s Own) Bengal Lancers (Skinner’s Horse) in 1901
    1st Duke of York’s Own Lancers (Skinner’s Horse) in 1903
    1st Duke of York's Own Skinner's Horse in 1921.
    The regiment remained in India during World War I, although 3rd Skinner’s Horse (with whom the 1st was amalgamated in 1922) was to serve in both France and the Middle East.

At the beginning of World War II the regiment was still mounted, but was quickly converted to act as a mechanised reconnaissance regiment and was attached to the 5th Indian Division.* The regiment fought in East Africa, North Africa and Italy and was awarded battle honours for Agordat, Keren, Amba-Alagi, Abyssinia, Senio Flood Bank and Italy.

The regiment was maintained by India upon independence and, like many British cavalry regiments became a tank regiment.* Today the regiment still exists in the Indian army, fiercely proud of its long and glorious history.
    Last edited by KK20; 13-07-2016 at 23:07.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Default Re: Skinner's Horse

Just a side note:
    Judas wore a yellow robe and thus yellow became associated with betrayal and cowardice.

In the eastern cultures yellow signified courage and nobility.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Thanks KK nice snippet into the past.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Thank you KK, greatly appreciated.

Skinner's Horse was the first regiment to combine oriental horsemanship with western cavalry drill. It was trained according to a manual of English cavalry manoeuvres, translated into Persian, with Colonel Skinner's own additions on musketry drill. This manuscript is preserved in the National Army Museum collections.

Last edited by KK20; 14-07-2016 at 13:18.

User

^ Now THAT's a chicken wing!

At full gallop, bouncing around you need to anchor that rifle in firmly.