Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Lee Loadmaster

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Yep. To the point of squibs.
    Same here. I chucked my adjustable chargebars in the bin. Had a few empty cases using them. Luckily I picked all of them up before placing a bullet in the cases.

User

Default Re: Lee Loadmaster

Good to know. So, the auto disk with the fixed cavities are not so good unless you are lucky and there is a cavity that matches the charge you want. The adjustable charge bars are an accident looking for a place to happen.

The auto drum seems to be good though; I have run about a 100 measured charges through it and it seems to be very consistent. I am curious to see what the chrony tells me tomorrow.

User

I suspect the adjustable charge bar issues are limited to the flake powders (MP200, MS200). The flake powders dislike small measuring cavities, irrespective of cavity shape. With the ball powders (S121, S221) they seem to work just fine AFAIK. Granted, my experience with S121 is limited to the micro disc kit, where it works fine. The adjustable charge bar with S221 at 9mm load levels (4,5-6gn) measures consistently. It does leak a small amount of powder, but that is not enough to make it an issue. I estimate the leakage at less than 1 throw in 1000 rounds. I tend to spill more than that trough clumsiness.

There are various ways of fine-tuning the fixed measuring cavities. Sticking some tape inside a cavity or tapping a grub screw through the side wall are 2 popular tricks. I would grind the grub screw tip to a rounded profile to help with the powder flow.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I suspect the adjustable charge bar issues are limited to the flake powders (MP200, MS200). The flake powders dislike small measuring cavities, irrespective of cavity shape. With the ball powders (S121, S221) they seem to work just fine AFAIK. Granted, my experience with S121 is limited to the micro disc kit, where it works fine. The adjustable charge bar with S221 at 9mm load levels (4,5-6gn) measures consistently. It does leak a small amount of powder, but that is not enough to make it an issue. I estimate the leakage at less than 1 throw in 1000 rounds. I tend to spill more than that trough clumsiness.

There are various ways of fine-tuning the fixed measuring cavities. Sticking some tape inside a cavity or tapping a grub screw through the side wall are 2 popular tricks. I would grind the grub screw tip to a rounded profile to help with the powder flow.
    Agreed,

For my 223 loads I have two adjustable charge bars stacked above each other and the throw is very consistent, again with ball powder.

For Ms 200 I did the tap into the side of the disk and add a m6 grub screw. Also very consistent and easy to make small adjustments.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

Also agree.

I have loaded around 1500 9mm cases now with an adjustable charge bar using S121 on a 4 hole turret press where I can (and do) visually inspect each case to ensure powder was dispensed before seating the bullet and I have had no issues thus far.

Not a definitive test I admit but this has been my experience thus far.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7