Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: .303 to 7,62×39 calibre conversion.

MS, can you tell us what you want to do? Reading between the lines I understand that you have a 303 and wish to shoot at a better price? Or do you just want something different?

One of the easiest ways to plink a 303 very cheap is to use .32 LRN bullets and a small charge of MP200 together with a filler. My uncle did that for my cousins and it works like a charm. There were some articles on that late 2012 or early 2013.

User

I think its a lekker idea for a survival rifle in Africa. Getting your hands on 7.62x39 on this continent must be like picking up seashells at the beach. Strictly in a EOTWAWKI scenario. There. My useless contribution to this thread.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

User

I would agree with the mojority here and say that it makes no sense to convert, rather purchase a rifle in the caliber you are after.

I see the new Howa mini action rifles are offered in 7.62x39 so that is an option you could look at.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    I think its a lekker idea for a survival rifle in Africa. Getting your hands on 7.62x39 on this continent must be like picking up seashells at the beach. Strictly in a EOTWAWKI scenario. There. My useless contribution to this thread.
    The photo's of arms stashes in Africa would not leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling if I would have to put one of those rounds in my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. You want to go 7.62x39 because 303 ammo is expensive to reload? Just remember that to get decent pricing on x39 milsurp you're buying in units of 1 case (1500 rounds) so not cheaper on the actual outlay. A case of x39 will set you back roughly R8-9k and you'd have to buy the whole case or pay more per round.
    At NSN Arms Pretoria you do get them for sale in boxes of 20 for R110 if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    I think it's a lekker idea.

If the barrel is still ok you would only need to cut it back, cut the chamber, and re-thread to fit the action. The chamber of the x39 is much shorter, so the knox form forward of the neck will stay the same size, hence safe.

The bolt face and extractor will have to be modified to fit the smaller diameter rim.

Will make a great little cast bullet carbine.
    There is a clip on You Tube how to alter the bolt head to feed the 7,62×39

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

User

Making the 7,62x39 feed in a LE will be quite a job, but not impossible. Getting the action to eject the spent case will be more interesting. The LE uses a fixed ejector, being a screw though the left receiver wall, that the case rim must bump against to eject. Try that with a smaller case head!

I would tink it will be much cheaper to just download the 303 to "AK" ballistics. While AK ammo is relatively cheap, reloading a 303 with an AK bullet will likely cost even less. With the lighter load (lower pressure) and proper case prep (neck sizing) the cases should last many firings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2