Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting - By Messor - Part Six

@ Koebelwagen

Thanks for the post, adds more details to the thread.

One point I forgot to mention, every year I hunt real thickets, meaning very dense bush, and on a couple of occasions after stalking a group of animals, once the shot rang out they had no idea where it came from, they just ran, even in our direction.

That means if the animal did not detect you firstly it's got no idea who or what you are, it cannot associate you with a threat, and it cannot predict from which direction you will be approaching should you have wounded it.

That in itself makes the scenario very detail specific, if the animal was looking at you when the shot rang out it knows what's up. If you stalked it without being detected it's got no clue, that is why some just keep on grazing before they fall dead.

Anyways regarding your post, my point was you guys waited for 10 minutes, that animal was sitting there, wounded, hurt, until you finished it with a good shot.
    Is it possible that you would have had the same result had you waited 5 minutes, and ended suffering 5 minutes earlier?

User

Thanks,always some thing to learn from these posts.

User

Messor.....when the animal stops it will watch the direction it came from. the hunter will first walk to where the animal was when he took the shot,hence the animal will be watching in the direction from where you would approach. something i wanted to ask you,if i may,a wounded animal in uneven terrain.there is a school of thought that a wounded animal will never run downhill if it has a choice.me,i am not so sure but as i say some hunters swear by this. any thoughts? ...sorry i know its a bit of a hi jack

User

Messor, I don't think in this particular case 5 minutes would have been sufficient as we only heard the BWB lying down as we were about to start tracking it. The farm we hunted has very dense vegetation with open areas only here and there. I think it likely we would have had a lot more on our plate had we gone in earlier.

As it was, the fact the BWB was lying down when we came upon him is probably the only reason I got a shot in. Trust me he was very much still alive when we happened upon him.

Two years ago I spent two days tracking a wounded BWB that I had shot too far back, only hitting the lungs. The chase commenced right after the shot and might have gone differently had we waited. I don't know if this would have been the case because, as you say it is very case specific.

What I did take from that experience was the fact that you need to spend more time practicing than hunting if you don't hunt a lot. I spent an awful lot of time on the range this year before my hunt and it paid off as all 6 animals I hunted expired either where they stood or went no further than 15M(BWB, heart shot, they are tough)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Messor, I don't think in this particular case 5 minutes would have been sufficient as we only heard the BWB lying down as we were about to start tracking it. The farm we hunted has very dense vegetation with open areas only here and there. I think it likely we would have had a lot more on our plate had we gone in earlier.

As it was, the fact the BWB was lying down when we came upon him is probably the only reason I got a shot in. Trust me he was very much still alive when we happened upon him.

Two years ago I spent two days tracking a wounded BWB that I had shot too far back, only hitting the lungs. The chase commenced right after the shot and might have gone differently had we waited. I don't know if this would have been the case because, as you say it is very case specific.

What I did take from that experience was the fact that you need to spend more time practicing than hunting if you don't hunt a lot. I spent an awful lot of time on the range this year before my hunt and it paid off as all 6 animals I hunted expired either where they stood or went no further than 15M(BWB, heart shot, they are tough)
    Thanks for the explanation of your scenario.
    It's what I referred to as being scenario specific.
    You guys hunted correctly and got the animal.

It does emphasize the importance of shot placement though :)

User

Messor I'm not a hunter. But I really do find these posts informative. Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Messor.....when the animal stops it will watch the direction it came from. the hunter will first walk to where the animal was when he took the shot,hence the animal will be watching in the direction from where you would approach. something i wanted to ask you,if i may,a wounded animal in uneven terrain.there is a school of thought that a wounded animal will never run downhill if it has a choice.me,i am not so sure but as i say some hunters swear by this. any thoughts? ...sorry i know its a bit of a hi jack
    I have found that IF the hunter is detected, the animal would circle, because the hunter in theory should be coming from downwind.

The animal only have it's senses to work with, and in thick bush sight is the least effective of all.

I have found that animals generally know their territory very well, and will often take their preferred escape routes, regardless of terrain.

I have hunted many animals on uneven terrain, and they all move towards safe locations, regardless if incline, downhill or uphill it doesn't matter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Messor I'm not a hunter. But I really do find these posts informative. Thanks.
    It's a privilege and a pleasure T.

User

thanks messor...another one of those old stories headed for the myth bin

User

Thank you Mr. Messor, good, informative read.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast