User

Default Watch repair/service centre

Morning folks,

I have two watches from the late 70's my father gave me and would like them serviced/repaired.

The first is a Rotary automatic (watch runs but stops unexpectedly every now & then).

The second is an Edox - Delfin divers watch. Think it has been over wound.

If you nice folk on GS can direct me to a decent/reputable place that can service/repair them in the Jhb or Pta area please let me know.

User

Default Re: Watch repair/service centre

Hi there, if I'm not mistaken, there was a place in Doringkloof mall, in Pretoria, there were two elderly women who had given me great service, with honest opinions as well as very fast service at really good prices..

User

I would like to bump this thread as I also need a quality watchmakers services.

a "person" destroyed 3 collars on my BRAND new Orient Mforce...

Lesson learned.

User

When I get to Jhb again I am going to take my watches to Shemer Jewellers, Shop U9 Bedford centre Bedfordview.

Tel: 011 622 47 three five

They going to give me a quote, have been in the business since 1948 apparently

User

I am not sure how you overwind a watch as they are designed to stop at a certain point and even then it is rather difficult to try and go past that given the small winder you have available on most modern watches. Just please don't ever use Q20 or some such product on these kind of mechanisms, it is terrible to clean and it will cause problems whether you have a small wristwatch or a big grandfather clock. If they have been running smoothly since the 70's then a good service should do the trick unless either had a hard bump or fall then repairs would be needed but you won't know until it's been opened up.

Wish I could help you out with this as I am able to service mechanical watches but I am not in Pretoria anymore and I don't have the tools anymore either. I'll most probably get back into it at a later stage. Good luck though! I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble or too high costs, these kinds of watches are fascinating and worth the effort in getting fixed in my opinion.

Give Shelz watch repairs a call, (011) 8802858, they're in Rosebank. I've had excellent service from them when no one else could.