Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cocker Spaniel

User

Default Cocker Spaniel

Does anyone know if there are still people breeding working cocker spaniels. I have contacted the Working Spaniel Association but they only know of people breeding Springers. I am waiting for a well bred Springer at the moment but would prefer a Cocker if one was available.

Default Re: Cocker Spaniel

Any particular reason you after a spaniel ? I’ve been watching a lot of the training and field trail videos
    On you tube lately and must admit they seem supper dogs they really cover ground well
    And seem awesome

I’ve only ever seen spaniels at a wattle springs shoot
    And they were just chilling on the back of a van

User

Firstly my Granfather had spaniels and secondly they are smaller and I think they make better house pets than the other gun dogs. Most of my shooting is pigeon and guinea fowl so don't want a pointer that ranges miles away. A dog that will quarter within 15-20 meters and retrieve will be more benificial to me and lastly and most importently I really like spaniels.

That makes a lot of sense
    And they good in the water so you get the whole deal in a smaller package and won’t eat you out of house and home and take up the whole bed

All the videos I’ve watched of them working they do everything at a proper high speed looks awesome

User

The biggest problem is trying to find a well bred working dog. Johan from the WSA is looking out for me but did say it could take anything from 6 months to year and also warned me about show dogs instead of working dogs. I'm not in too much of a rush.

i think the looking for the right puppy is half the fun
    so just enjoy it

User

i have 2 Springer Spaniels , Best dogs i have ever had , love them to bits .

as working dogs go , they are amazing as well , very eager to please , and have built in hunting instincts

User

It sounds like you are set on a Spaniel, if so, enjoy the search and I hope you find a new hunting buddy soon, if not, look at a GSP as well, I have never had a bitch that weighed more than 22kgs, and they are all lapdogs, but boy, can they hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by huntley View Post
    The biggest problem is trying to find a well bred working dog. Johan from the WSA is looking out for me but did say it could take anything from 6 months to year and also warned me about show dogs instead of working dogs. I'm not in too much of a rush.
    Having the patience to wait for a well bred dog, will pay of, it probably only accounts for about 20% of what the dog will be like, but its the 20% that you cannot do without, and yes stay away from show dogs, as you will only find out too late if the hunting desire has been bred out.

If its Johan Pieterse, he will definitely know where to find a top dog. Ask him about a day on the Sprinbok Flats, and a little GSP bitch that only hunted with him for the afternoon.

wonder what the cost are like for bringing a dog in from the uk
    and how will that dog cope with the conditions over here

User

Never gave that idea a thought. I suppose if you are going to bring in a dog from the UK it would be better to bring in a Springer and breed from it here. From what I have been told there are no working Cockers here only Springers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast