Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Just finished this

Hi guys, I had to share this one. I make knives as a hobby, learned from YouTube! Started about 1 year ago. Here is my latest.
    3.2mm N690 Stainless Steel
    Red Ivory scales
    Buffalo horn bolsters.

User

Default Re: Just finished this

Dit lyk baie goed!

Banned

Nice!

Very nice work.. Well done

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Goodlooking knife man! I like the sheath, its got a swedish puuko vibe to it.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

User

Now see, I want to start his but I'm lacking funds for the bigger tools right now. These threads aren't helping!

Really good looking bud!

User

Thank you very much guys, I still have a lot to learn and need to develop my skill. I am hopefully doing a course shortly.
    @Toxxyc, I started with a jig and files and I used old leaf springs for steel. Check out Walter Sorrells on YouTube, he has videos on how to make simple knives with hand tools. But be warned once you start it never stops!

User

Nice looking knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Now see, I want to start his but I'm lacking funds for the bigger tools right now. These threads aren't helping!

Really good looking bud!
    Have a look if you can find a book called The 50 Dollar Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard. It contains a lot of ideas and tips for making knives with very limited equipment.

You can make a knife using nothing but a hacksaw, files and a drill. Anything in addition to this is simply to make it faster and easier.

Buying one of Bohler's pieces of precision ground K460 (Their name for O1 tool steel) will save a lot of effort in preparing the blank, and it can be heat treated in a "coffee can" forge. I believe they refer to it as boiler plate. The K460 is easy to work and cut, even with a hacksaw.

An even easier method is to buy one of the pre-cut knife blanks from KMTS. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but a while ago they offered a service where they would laser cut a knife blank of your own design for you out of stainless steel. The only problem with stainless is that heat treating is out of the reach of most home knifemakers.

I can heartily recommend that anyone who's interested gives knife making a bash. As soon as I have some space again, I plan to get back into it as well.

User

I don't mind not stopping. I found KMTS in Pretoria's website and their blanks are incredibly cheap, so I was wondering how to start. The people where we rent are incredibly nice, the old man has a ton of steelworking tools, so perhaps I should just ask him if I can borrow some of his stuff to knock a blade together. I just want to do the "heavy lifting" on his tools. I have a nice sharpener and I would like to polish the blade to a mirror finish myself while sitting on the couch or something like that.

Man, I think I should start on this as a Saturday/holiday project...

If you don't have access to furnaces and things, how would you harden the blade's steel then? Just heat it up in a fire until it loses magnetic properties and douse in oil?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't mind not stopping. I found KMTS in Pretoria's website and their blanks are incredibly cheap, so I was wondering how to start. The people where we rent are incredibly nice, the old man has a ton of steelworking tools, so perhaps I should just ask him if I can borrow some of his stuff to knock a blade together. I just want to do the "heavy lifting" on his tools. I have a nice sharpener and I would like to polish the blade to a mirror finish myself while sitting on the couch or something like that.

Man, I think I should start on this as a Saturday/holiday project...

If you don't have access to furnaces and things, how would you harden the blade's steel then? Just heat it up in a fire until it loses magnetic properties and douse in oil?
    I started by watching loads of youtube videos. KMTS has a fairly decent range of stock. I have seen most of their blanks are 14C28N, which is stainless and requires a bit more than heat treating in a fire! But there are guys and companies in your area that will heat treat for a reasonable price. On another note just go for it. I love it and have actually made a bit of money from it. I call it friend sponsored practice. Basically I have had orders from friends and family and they cover my cost while I practice. I have 8 orders at the moment!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast