Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default A few questions on putting a suppressor on an AK

I'm planning to shorten my Saiga 7,62x39 barrel and have the muzzle threaded. I have read some AK's have had issues with threads not being concentric to bore which is OK with a wide tolerance muzzle device but not with a can. Having it cut and threaded properly will make this a non issue for me (hopefully!)

Re threads, I know AK's are traditionally 14x1 LH. Would standard metric 14x1 be a better option for more available devices?

I've also read that since the AK doesn't have an adjustable gasblock and is overgassed to start, adding a suppressor increases backpressure. I'd like to hear anyone's first hand experience with this and if solutions are needed (stronger recoil spring/ trunion buffer?)

I don't want a can to make the gun "hollywood" quiet.. just hearing safe and to reduce muzzle flash and recoil. Plan to use normal milsurp ammo and not loading subs at this stage

What cans have you guys tried and tested, and who did your work?

User

Default Re: A few questions on putting a suppressor on an AK

standard metric would be better for devices

but i went 9/16x24LH because thats what was available, apparantly its R1/FN thread

User

Spoke to S&O this weekend about the same topic, was looking for a stronger recoil spring for the AK or some advise. Was advised they cant assist... meh

So taking the guys advise here and just going with a muzzle brake.

User

The R1 (metric FAL copy) with 12-hole flash hider/brake is threaded M14x1 LH. Acessories should be available.

On any gas-operated SLR a supressor will increase gas volume, thus increase bolt carrier speed (if not adjustable). Also keep in mind that the gas ports near the gas cylinder also emit some noise. This means you will never be able to get it as quiet as a bolt gun in the same calibre.

My solution on my LM6 (11" barrel AK derivative) was to make a very short supressor (100mm long and 50mm thick). This shorter can also seems to speed the bolt carrier up less than a bigger one would, since the gas escapes somewhat faster. Keeping the hole larger than on a bolt gun also helps with bleeding off the gas pressure. This might help with the thread alignment issue.

Also keep in mind the tremendous heat generated in a supressor on any SLR. This tends to cause a serious mirage that disturbs your line of sight.

User

Expect quite a bit of gunk in your face with every shot - so wearing shooting glasses is, as always, a must, preferably a wrap around type. No need to change the spring but I only have experience of mil issue AKs & ammo not the civilian copies which in, some respects, are not as sturdy.

I'm going with a brake with thread over suppressor, the same kind used by a well known local gunshop on their AKs. But I won't be running milsurp through the can. I'll also be fitting the Wolff XP spring for suppressor use. Also getting spare pistons in case I need to shorten and/or drill one out to increase volume when using the suppressor.

Of course, given that I'll be using bullets weighing 150-180gr, especially with the can, these concerns may all turn out to be moot.

One note on using recoil buffers. The interwebs have several accounts linking recoil buffers to cracked receivers. Take from that what you will.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Hope this helps, I mailed ALG regarding their springs assisting with this

Below is the answer

“A question that came up, would the ALG AK recoil spring offer any improvement to the over gas situation found on a suppressed AK?”

To answer your question, the AK recoil spring would be an improvement over stock. It was designed with the 2 to 3 dead coils in the center change the natural frequency of the spring, which prevents harmonics from damaging the spring and reducing its free length. While this was not designed specifically as an increased strength spring for suppressed use, it does work well with suppressors. We have seen that even new factory AK rifles can come with weak recoil springs. This can lead to premature wear on the rifle and its fire control group due to the lack of proper spring tension. In the case with over gassed rifles, it may help mitigate some of the gassing issues, but again, it was not designed as an increased spring for over gassed/suppressed rifles. With that said, a few customers have used our recoil springs to help solve over gassing issues with success. I hope this helps.

Thanks BigT! I had wondered about that question myself.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    I'm going with a brake with thread over suppressor, the same kind used by a well known local gunshop on their AKs. But I won't be running milsurp through the can. I'll also be fitting the Wolff XP spring for suppressor use. Also getting spare pistons in case I need to shorten and/or drill one out to increase volume when using the suppressor.

Of course, given that I'll be using bullets weighing 150-180gr, especially with the can, these concerns may all turn out to be moot.

One note on using recoil buffers. The interwebs have several accounts linking recoil buffers to cracked receivers. Take from that what you will.
    Did you ever get the brake and suppressor? Name or brand ?

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    On any gas-operated SLR a supressor will increase gas volume, thus increase bolt carrier speed (if not adjustable).
    Depends on the suppressor: modern designs vent the excess pressure away from the bore. If not right now, but in the very near future there will be a SA importer for Saimaa Still suppressors which have practically no back pressure. The design simply works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast