Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: Silencers on big bore rifles

People buy Ferrari's and superbikes and mostly never drive them to their full limits. They do this because they like them, want them, and have to have them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    People buy Ferrari's and superbikes and mostly never drive them to their full limits. They do this because they like them, want them, and have to have them.
    I agree springer and I agree with Messor to an extent although I just like disagreeing with him but he makes valid points.

Although as you've stated, would you put a silencer on a original Rigby or Holland and Holland if we are in the Ferrari league?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't, no. But I'm a bit of a traditionalist. But who am I to dictate to people how they should enjoy their pursuits? People can do whatever they like. Hell, I've even seen low profile tyres on Cruisers. :)

User

That's the thing dsmerrils.

People don't use their "precious".
    I'll show you what a hunting rifle looks like, it's got use marks, it's not a showroom model.

Hence we cannot use that to compare the scenario to functionality.
    What many like most according to looks stays in the safe.
    Almost every farmer I know have a work bakkie and a church bakkie.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmerrills View Post
    I agree springer and I agree with Messor to an extent although I just like disagreeing with him but he makes valid points.

Although as you've stated, would you put a silencer on a original Rigby or Holland and Holland if we are in the Ferrari league?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I wonder how many people on this forum own an original H&H or Rigby. In that instance there would be no cutting and threading done obviously. However, everything else is open gates.

I'm seriously considering getting a Barrel for my R93 in either 375H&H or 416 Rem Mag, cut to 20" to offset the extra length of the suppressor, and fitting a Reflex type suppressor. 300gr Barnes TSX or 330gr GSC HV in the 416 Rem Mag should be fantastic on Eland, BWB and the like, especially when NOT fitted with a leupold VX3 1,5-5x and rather something like the VX3 3,5-10x to maximise the potential of the cartridges at shots further out than 200m. Recoil would also be slightly milder thanks to the Weight of the Suppressor.

Ja but we all know you are a bit of a sissy and it would suit you well

Quote Originally Posted by Umshwati Boy View Post
    I wonder how many people on this forum own an original H&H or Rigby. In that instance there would be no cutting and threading done obviously. However, everything else is open gates.

I'm seriously considering getting a Barrel for my R93 in either 375H&H or 416 Rem Mag, cut to 20" to offset the extra length of the suppressor, and fitting a Reflex type suppressor. 300gr Barnes TSX or 330gr GSC HV in the 416 Rem Mag should be fantastic on Eland, BWB and the like, especially when NOT fitted with a leupold VX3 1,5-5x and rather something like the VX3 3,5-10x to maximise the potential of the cartridges at shots further out than 200m. Recoil would also be slightly milder thanks to the Weight of the Suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by DWB View Post
    Ja but we all know you are a bit of a sissy and it would suit you well
    You think the BASA crowd would approve

The OP referred to .375s as big bores - and tongue in cheek - they are not really big bores are they?

I think that the only two reasons that people lunk them into the same cal class as the real calibres (that start with .4, or better yet 0.5) is that they are the MINIMUM cal for dangerous game in many countries. That is probably also the reason they are allowed in the DGR shoots (well that and to help get the number of entrants up). :)

Regarding suppressors - I put one onto my CZ550 375H&H. I will probably not hunt with it on, but I shoot the rifle a whole lot more now that it is kinder to the fillings and doesn't bark as loudly.

I will personally submit a request for a lifelong ban and you will get the wuss award (Which I will sponsor)

User

They'll work out a formula that counters the lack of recoil, so you'll probably be scored in the class with the 22's, same as the guys that underload for the competitions

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7