Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Silencers on big bore rifles

If guns were just about being tools then they would be bleddie boring.

Well, sad to say this. But on my rifles and handguns. Looks is critical for me.
    I will first look at how it will look with a specific scope, bipod or silencer on before fitting it.
    As I dont want it to look crappy. Thats why even rifles with long silencers looks crappy long.
    And I rather pay more for a shorter compact model that will work the same if not better.
    And does not take anything away from the rifle look or function.

User

I have a .375 with a silencer. I cull game on my own place. The silencer helps that I can cull from one group without spooking the rest. Its practical. It works.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    If guns were just about being tools then they would be bleddie boring.
    People don't carry glocks because they are bleddie interesting, they carry them because they are bleddie reliable.

Regarding the topic, you'll often find the more something is used the less interesting it becomes.

Like a 4x4 in the city, sitting in the garage and doing pavement parking once a year, the owner is all "cool 4x4!".
    While the guy who works with his 4x4 every day thinks nothing of it, nothing special, just a tool.

I've seen many farmers with Sako rifles as their bakkie rifles, nothing special, doesn't even recognize the brand. While the once a year hunter strokes his Sako safe queen every week thinking it's more than it actually is, just a tool.

I cannot eat sentiment or sacrilege, a hunting rifle is meant for killing, nothing more.

User

I'm with Messor on this. It's a tool.

Not all guns are collectors pieces. If it's a collectors piece that is one of a kind and you feel strongly about it then buy it of the person and preserve it for future generations as you see fit. If the silencer would make the owner use it more and help him/her shoot more ethically I would encourage it.

As a Glock shooter most guns are prettier than mine. So I would like to preserve all guns. I would also like to see all guns used.

If someone has the money to buy a H&H in 375 or whatever other gun and want to fit a silencer, then let them do it. It's another gun sold.

My one uncle was a rather prolific collector of things. Mostly old sports cars but many other things as well. Whenever my mom would visit he would open a very decent $$ wine for her as she does appreciate a good wine. He would share with her but adulterate his with cream soda! When she asked him why he did this as it seems wasteful. He said most wine is to dry for him and that if he didn't do it she would not have any on her own and thus the bottle would not have been enjoyed and she would not have had the pleasure. That to me sums up real use. That wine was more valuable to him sharing it with her than standing in the cellar unopened.

We all have these things that we treasure to the point where you don't get the joy out of the use of a utilitarian product.
    I would rather use something everyday until it is use up, than save it and not have it impact my life in any way. Use your best stuff for the people most important to you, your family, instead of saving it to impress people that doesn't matter anyway.

I have stuff that was packed away to protect it for years and realized that when I started using it I was appreciating the people I got it from way more.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Not all guns are collectors pieces.
    But by the notion of "all guns are tools", collectors pieces are then just glorified tools?

I agree that all guns are tools. They're manufactured for a reason, and that's to be a tool. However, tools can be personalised and styled to choice. Some are worth it (like a nice Blaser rifle) and others are not (your use-and-abuse Glock 19). What you do with your guns is your business. I've wanted to cringe before seeing some guys with their seriously expensive rifles really mess them up because they don't know any better. The older gentleman we rent from showed me his .308 a few months ago. Nice rifle, an older Musgrave if I'm not mistaken, but he gave the rifle to a "friend's brother's son" who said he can "fit a scope". Let's just say that I've never seen anyone stick a scope with mounts to a rifle with Q-Bond before that day.

User

I agree with the tools comment , for me personally I just don't like the look of them on larger or big bore rifles adding that Bigger Bore rifles are generally much heavier .

User

Messor...me,maybe i"m weird,but i grow attached to a rifle in almost the same way i am attached to my dogs. there are too many memories and thoughts that come flooding back to me every time i pick up 1 of my rifles and yes,i made a living for 7 years with them in the bush,so used them as tools but not in the same way as i would a hammer or a pair of pliers. Maybe if you changed from a 270 to something decent like an 06 you would look at things in a different light

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    i made a living for 7 years with them in the bush,so used them as tools but not in the same way as i would a hammer or a pair of pliers
    Tell that to a carpenter or a plumber, my good Sir! :)

Each to his own. A carpenter's favourite tool is his hammer. A plumber's favourite tool is his pair of pliers (waterpomptang). A taxi driver's favourite tool is his car. A hunter's favourite tool is his hunting rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I've wanted to cringe before seeing some guys with their seriously expensive rifles really mess them up because they don't know any better.
    The notion of "they don't know better" is the mother of all f-ups.

We state our opinion about something, and we leave it at that, the second we start with "rambo" and "sacrilege" we've lost our way.

Lets say someone's got a beautiful rifle, but the person is struggling these days, that shoulder with the 2x operations is just acting up too much. But he loves the rifle, and wants to shoot it, then I pray he puts a suppressor on and enjoys the rifle he loves to shoot.

Lets say your doctor told you in specific words that your hearing is now f-uped, and that you will not shoot your rifle without hearing aid or modifying the sound, then I pray such a person suppresses the rifle and keeps using the rifle he loves.

Let's say a diabled person.......you get my drift.

We often raise our opinion without the proper information.

I pray people see beyond the prejudice of their beliefs and let people enjoy shooting their rifles in the way they see fit.

A rifle that is not meant for shooting is worthless.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast