Banned

Default Re: Powder coated Cast bullets

yea Pm sent

User

Tnx will be in contact soon

User

You guys who PC your cast rifle bullets, would you mind sharing your methods and experiences. For example, is the gas check really needed and from what MV or pressure level?

I have PC'd a few thousand handgun bullets in various calibres so far and am quite happy with the results.

I'm especially interested in PC bullets for 223 and 308 (both 1:12" twist) rifles. I don't have the moulds yet, will obtain them once I know what exactly I need. If it is possible to go without the gas checks, That would be great. Otherwise a check maker might be the way to go.

User

I also recently joined the PC revolution. I am currently powder coating some none gas-checked .311" bullets (comes out at 132grains) specifically for the Type 56.
    Have done some function testing but no accuracy or chrony tests yet.

Hoped to do it before our night shoot here in Brits this afternoon, but the shoot was cancelled due to a swamped shooting range.
    Using Lyman mold number 311410

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    You guys who PC your cast rifle bullets, would you mind sharing your methods and experiences. For example, is the gas check really needed and from what MV or pressure level?

I have PC'd a few thousand handgun bullets in various calibres so far and am quite happy with the results.

I'm especially interested in PC bullets for 223 and 308 (both 1:12" twist) rifles. I don't have the moulds yet, will obtain them once I know what exactly I need. If it is possible to go without the gas checks, That would be great. Otherwise a check maker might be the way to go.
    Reading through castboolits, it appears that gas checks are not needed as long as the base of the bullet is also covered in powder coat. This means either using a shake n bake type of method or standing the bullets nose-down when using a spray gun.

I stand to be corrected, but it seems with the right alloy good velocities can be expected without accuracy problems or leading.

Check out this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...and-gas-checks

Apologies to the mods if posting a link to another forum is a faux pas.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

I cast and PC for my Type 56 and the difference between GC and PB is noticeable. My GC open sight groupings @50m was around 2-3" when function testing. Not particularly accurate. For the unchecked bullets @50 I had 2 hits out of 5 on an IDPA target.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I cast and PC for my Type 56 and the difference between GC and PB is noticeable. My GC open sight groupings @50m was around 2-3" when function testing. Not particularly accurate. For the unchecked bullets @50 I had 2 hits out of 5 on an IDPA target.
    Have you tried coating them nose down yet?

A suggestion: Since you are using the static method, you could drill another block to hold the bullets nose-down and then screw a small sharp screw in from the other side (aim carefully) so the bullet nose rests in the screw tip. Just connect all the screws with some copper wire and clamp your gun's connector clamp there. That should give you perfect bases and hopefully decent accuracy.

I just have my doubts about the accuracy potential of a GC bullet without the GC. This leaves the rebate at the base exposed, which might (or might not) be bad for accuracy. So, if unchecked PC rifle bullets are an option, I would like to use moulds that produce a plain base. It can of course be drilled out...

The ideal would be to get 2MOA accuracy or better. If that is possible, CMJ's might be relegated to the museum.

Hi there,
    I hope this thread has not gone cold.
    I'm looking to Powder Coat my cast bullets here in Johannesburg.
    Please could someone recommend what coating to use and where to get coating locally ?
    Method used and any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

User

Bump.

I'm also about to start coating my cast bullets & I'd like to know what type of powder the guys are using?

Some research reveals that there are a myriad of types of powder on the market, depending on the intended use of the final product.

(I've been told to stay away from metallic powders because of abrasion concerns)

I'm sure that you gets powders and then you gets powders, so don't want to just put any old gemors down my barrel, or can I?

Banned

From what I've read on a few sites, get some powder for free from a powder coating company. They'll usually give you a bit to play around with if you ask nicely, and some of the owners are actually firearm owners.

Method:
    Pour some powder into your empty vibrating tumbler
    Drop in a few hundred bullets
    Close tumbler lid
    Run tumbler for about 20mins, this will build up static which will help the powder to stick to the bullets.
    Dump contents of tumbler into a sieve, shake off loose powder.
    Place bullets upright individually, on grease proof paper on a pan.
    Place in oven for about 20mins on IIRC 200° for powder to bake.(use your wife's oven if you have a death wish)
    Remove from oven and leave to cool.
    (Get one of those mini ovens that have a 2 plate stove built into the top. It's around R700)
    Run bullets through a Lee sizer and you're good to go.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast