Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Messor's Postmasburg trip part four

Messor’s Postmasburg trip, part four.

Almost forgot, did this a while ago, might as well report on what happened :)

As usual we had our annual kudu hunt in Postmasburg, a family affair we do more for the trip than for the hunt. We left middle June, the trip would be from Thursday to Sunday, giving two full days to hunt, because hunting here is not for sissies, we have come up empty handed before.

Before dawn on Thursday morning we started the trip, it was misty conditions but we knew it would clear up the further we head west. Indeed when the morning came the sunrays won the battle of the mist. Remarkable these trips, it’s like a cleansing of the soul, doesn’t matter how many times you’ve hunted, excitement replaces stress, and age gives way to youthful anticipation.

With good conversation the road felt too short, better that than the alternative I guess. We arrived around midday but we knew the days are short, and setting up camp was priority number one, and shooting in the rifles priority number two. At the farm house I removed the 338 from the bag and chambered 3 rounds, 250gr Sierra Gamekings, just in case we ran into something looking for a fight. This proved to not be a bad idea at all, since 5 minutes down the path I saw the movement, pigs I whispered and the cruiser came to a halt. The pigs were trapped against the fence, looking frantically for a way through, but for them it was too late. My brother had chambered the first round and when the first shot rang out it was almost a sickening thud, you don’t have to be Einstein the know that whatever was hit was dead. The second pig was dispatched moments later, and he was shot even more dead.

Now the 338 ain’t no toy, and I knew the gamkings was running too fast for short range bush work, but remarkably meat damage was minimal, no bullets recovered of course. So 5 minutes into the veld, two pigs hanging, meaning we already had the extra meat to work in with the mince and wors.

Few minutes later we arrived and setup base camp, inside the bush, we literally made a tunnel in the bush but camp itself was most pleasantly set up in a clearing inside the bush.

Camp setup we took out the targets and the rifles and made for a old dry weir in which we shoot in the rifles. The 270 was loaded with Barnes TSX, loaded to about 2850 ft/s, very mild I know, but for the conditions a very capable combination. Three shots with the .270 not only confirmed that it was still shooting dead on, but the 10mm grouping my brother shot also confirmed the worth of the remarkable little oriental rifle.

The 338 was another matter, I knew that the shooting could be done at VERY short ranges, and the Sierras was not downloaded, meaning if we connected solid bone at short range the results could be interesting. As such I bought a couple of 210gr Barnes TSX and loaded it to about 2830ft/s, the reasoning was to mimic the trajectory of the 270 and so whatever rifle was in hand the shooting would be exactly the same. The only trick, this was an unproven load, never shot before, I figured that if I was not satisfied with the result I would just use the Sierra’s and make sure of my shots. But then I was not disappointed, I shot three quick shots to see where it prints on target, it was a 15-20mm group, the target on the right, good enough. I adjusted the scope down, gave my brother 1 shot, he shot it and said, shooting in over, when I reached the target I was laughing, because it’s precious little that people hit a target like that, the target to the left. The recovered bullets were stuff my father dug out of the ground, he’s meticulous like that, and the barnes kept together nicely.

Now we focussed on making firewood, enough firewood, because not only would the temperature drop below zero but the kuier around the fire is what we were there for. A normal fire in that trip looks like this:

Next morning I took the mountains alone, my brother had the swine flu, and seeing that the walk would kill most healthy people risking his health was just not on. I told him and my father to give me a couple of hours to cross the mountains, then I would meet them on the other side where there is a little dam, and kudu’s are normally found in that area. Luckily for us I didn’t find anything in the mountains, yes shooting something in such a remote place is lunacy, but the old skelm bulls often hide in the valleys and if I had a chance I would take it, after that there would be HELL to pay in getting it out, but, you know. Anyways like said I did not run into anything, luckily, but I must say the climb, the terrain, the veld was so inspiring I felt like 16 again, holding back the years for one more time. A remarkable gift from God these opportunities are.

Anyways, on the plains I met up with the others, and true enough in kudu valley we found......kudu’s. One young male and two females, the bakkie scared them off but we plotted their trajectory and decided to intercept them on the next ridge, retreating far and making a circle to give us an upwind stalk. Anyways as mentioned in the other instalments hunting and tracking in THESE bush is no joke. Every single bush is out to kill you, and you normally bleed more than animals shot. So moving is slow, listening is the key, and becoming one with the terrain a requirement to outfox them kudu. 15 minutes into the bush we halted, lifted the binocs, and confirmed the young bull. He was standing in the middle of a little ridge, quartering away with his upper body higher than his behind. I didn’t care much for his body position because I knew from any angle the barnes was going through. I lifted the rifle to my shoulder, when the picture was acquired the shot rang out. A little far for an offhand shot, 160m, but ag wat, that is why I train for it. The shot was very solid, the bull made a sound that could only be described as a loud cough, or even a bark, and you could hear it hit the ground. The barnes had no intention of stopping, it went through the entire kudu and went on its merry ways with a loud ricochet, probably still going somewhere. With the terrain it almost took us 15min just to reach the animal. Which was already covered by a millions flies can you believe it, so sorry for the poor photo. The recovery was even more difficult, but I’ll spare you the boring details.

Anyways, a large tree, block and tackle, makes for good skinning, and easy work.

The rest of the trip was just spent messing around, checking all the spots, drinking our fair share of brandy, enjoying life in its finest form, nature. You almost feel sad leaving a magical place like this. But then with every goodbye I know that I will be back next year.

Time for my son to grow up so that I might share my knowledge, and pass the torch, and a couple of orientals.

If you read this, thanks for taking the time.
    Now go make your own memories.

User

Default Re: Messor's Postmasburg trip part four

Messor, thank you , good write up and a nice hunting trip . That young kudu will provide for really tender meat .

User

Nice. Well done.

User

Messor, thanks for the write-up.

User

your hunting stories always a good read. thanks

User

It is a great time to sit down and read you great adventur Messor. hope your boet is better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    That young kudu will provide for really tender meat .
    You are, absolutely, 100% correct.

One must always keep in mind that the biggest horned animals does not make for the best eating.
    This specific animal was very tender, my biggest regret thus far is my own laziness, in that I haven't baked a couple of kudu pies.

I love kudu pies.

User

Thanks for sharing,always a good read.

User

Thanks for sharing! It has ruined my week though as I'm now pining for the bush!!!

User

Good Read. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast