Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Bowhunting-hide vs walk and stalk.

So on Saturday i accompanied joined my friends on a bow hunt, sadly whole day in the hide with nothing to show. How many guys do walk and stalk bow hunting? Is hunting from a hide true hunting? I mean can it be compared to hunting of a bakkie? Share your views. Keep it civil.

User

Default Re: Bowhunting-hide vs walk and stalk.

Neither is hunting..Both are a shooting exercise.

Banned

walk and stalk bow hunting must be the realist hunting to achieve success at. Bout as real as it gets in my eyes, just do not like the wounding ratio and loss ratio I have noticed.

User

Walk and stalk hunting is ideal and incredibly fulfilling when you land a kill. Although when you've got clients from the US or whatever and they've got three days to get an animal, then a hide becomes necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Neither is hunting..Both are a shooting exercise.

I'm just saying, this is a hole with no bottom....

My next picture would of been a guy leopard crawling with a knife between his teeth; 'Bows?!? Get the sand of of your.....real hunting is with your bare hands!'

User

I have done both.

Out of a blind I shoot dumb animals for meat. I dont consider this Hunting, but thats a very personal thing. its actually not quite as easy as it sounds particularly when there are a lot of animals about.

Tree stands and elevated blinds are still my favorite when I want meat.

Walk and stalk is becoming more and more difficult, game is becoming more wary and having a guide with you can make such hunting with a bow almost impossible. You may be tempted under such circumstances to take inappropriate shots on animals that are standing all wrong or are just too far resulting in an almost ethical hunt, but failing with the ethical Kill.

I will always prefer the ethical kill over the ethical hunt.

Today, with a weekend hunt, or even a 4/5 day hunt, unless you are blessed with a magical piece of land to hunt, the odds are not really in your favor .

"Well thats hunting" I hear some say, well that may be, but with the limited time the average stiff has to hunt and the huge costs involved, it is rather nice to be rewarded with a bit of meat to take home

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    So on Saturday i accompanied joined my friends on a bow hunt, sadly whole day in the hide with nothing to show. How many guys do walk and stalk bow hunting? Is hunting from a hide true hunting? I mean can it be compared to hunting of a bakkie? Share your views. Keep it civil.
    I hunt exclusively by w&s with my bow and rifles. Hunting with my bow offers me the greatest challenge. Success rate is low but enjoyment factor is high.

Since you asked, neither shooting from a hide nor from the back of the bakkie are "hunting", in my opinion.

Banned

Its not a opinion - its just what it is, thats all.

Since you asked, neither shooting from a hide nor from the back of the bakkie are "hunting", in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

User

Nat wanting to get into a flame war, I will ad my 2c on the subject.

Having had the opportunity to partake in various forms of hunting (yes I did say hunting) I agree that the walk-and-stalk is the purest most rewarding form of hunting, weather by bow and arrow, or rifle.

I have been 'hunting' on the back of a bakkie, and I have been 'hunting' by shooting animals at fairly long ranges. I prefer not to do these any more. I believe that it does have a place in the hunting world, but if you are physically capable, rather do not shoot from a vehicle.

as for bow hunting from a hide, I do consider it fair hunting. if you look at typical walk and stalk bow hunting, movement is slow, and a lot of 'walk and stalk' bow hunters in anycase find a place to ambush their prey, and conceal themselves there. this is done by either using natural environment (sitting in a tree, or using branches and bushes as a hide), or by relying on your camoflage clothes/guillie suits/leaf suit/etc to assist in concealing you.

Using a hide or tree stand is thus not so far removed. the difference is that the 'hunter' uses a fixed structure to conceal him/her self. I think what most people object to in ambush hunting is that in the hide scenario, typically there is an artificial water or feeding spot created to draw in animals. why is it then not frowned upon if a bowhunter ambushed his prey at a natural watering hole? or is that also not hunting?

I assume then that leopards are not predators, since they mostly ambush their prey also, they do not chase and kill?

At the farm I 'hunted' this last few days, about half of the hides are situated next to natural watering holes, and the other half have water in a cement trough. in all cases we do feed lucern, and some of the game feeding pellets. some hides are brick structures, some made of wood, and some of sticks and clay.

Walk and stalk on the other hand, takes a lot of time/research to find a good spot to hunt/ambush your prey. a luxury most average hunters do not have. we rely 100% on the land owners knowledge of his animals' movents. we do not have weeks to set up game cams and track movements. and most significantly, most bow hunting farms will NOT let hunters walk and stalk because of the fear of wounding animals and not getting it reported. and having a tracker with you on a bow hunting walk and stalk reduces your odds of getting anything by a huge margin. so how to do then?

at least it gives us bow hunters the opportunity to shoot our own biltong, whether it is hunting in it's purest form or not...

User

fkritzinger....What put me off using a bow from a blind at a waterhole was the farmer who unbeknown to me closed off all water points on his enclosed farm so that my client could get a kudu bull at that particular place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast