Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Armed passerby stops knife attack with warning shot

Quote Originally Posted by Al Capone View Post
    Point taken. Although if I fired a warning shot in the air and it could potentially hit a child on a playground on its way down, or a motorist while they're driving, it would be really kak. That being said, each situation is different and has to be assessed accordingly.

"Guns don't kill people, criminals kill people"
    Do you think this is more likely than a ricochet?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Do you think this is more likely than a ricochet?
    No I don't. In fact, both are very likely and equally dangerous and one has to choose the safest option for the situation at hand.

"Guns don't kill people, criminals kill people"

User

I think a bullet into the ground/tree is the best bet. You know what your target is then. Firing into the air - you don't even have a target and have no idea what's behind it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I think a bullet into the ground/tree is the best bet. You know what your target is then. Firing into the air - you don't even have a target and have no idea what's behind it.
    I know of a guy who killed an intruder in his yard after his bullet ricocheted of the ground and into the bg's face. Needless to say the bg was armed so it came out fine for him.

User

Just for interest sake, at what speed does a bullet fall to the ground? I am sure the speed is the same no matter the caliber and weight of the bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by PCfanatic View Post
    Just for interest sake, at what speed does a bullet fall to the ground? I am sure the speed is the same no matter the caliber and weight of the bullet?
    There are quite a lot of variables at play. Even terminal velocity would vary depending on whether or not the bullet tumbles, and even if not, different bullets with differing BCs will have differing terminal velocities.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    There are quite a lot of variables at play. Even terminal velocity would vary depending on whether or not the bullet tumbles, and even if not, different bullets with differing BCs will have differing terminal velocities.
    The difference in speed will be negligible though. Since gravity is the only factor causing it to fall to the ground, speed here will be pretty much the same because the difference in the drag force between say a .22LR and a .577 isn't that critical at said speed.

User

The problem is not the speed at which the bullet comes down, it's the speed at which it moves in a horizontal direction. Remember the issues at SWAT Shooting a few years ago?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PCfanatic View Post
    Acceleration due to gravity stays the same regardless of weight (the 2 falling objects of relatively low height experiment).

Terminal velocity in the same medium how ever increases with weight, decreases with increase of area and turbulence, increases with reduction of drag coefficient.

Fired straight up with no cross wind bullets will reach 0m/s and tumble back to earth, smaller bullets like those from handgun is very unlikely to reach a velocity to be lethal bigger rifle bullets fall into that grey zone where it is possible to reach a lethal velocity. It is very likely however that a bullet fired into the air will be fired at enough of an angle of the vertical or cross winds push it so that the bullet crests retains some rotational stability and fall back to earth point first in which case almost all bullets will reach a lethal velocity.

User

I've read for 9mm bullets you can expect around 150-250 feet per second. Is that enough to be lethal? I do not know. I will rather shoot into the ground than in the air if the situation allows.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast