Thread: Chicken litter

Default Chicken litter

Hi gugs just want to find out if chicken litter will work as a feed for bushpigs. I am looking for cheaper options to attract them.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Chicken litter

BAIT....Start off with a carcass[cow/donkey/horse]that is too big to be dragged away by the pigs.Cut some slits into the carcass to allow easy access to flies.It is the initial smell that attracts the pigs and they enjoy eating the maggots that form.Be patient as it can take up to 10 days to get the pigs feeding.Check the bait every 2nd day before 8-9 in the morning and look for a sudden decrease in maggots which is sometimes the only indication that pigs have been there.Then,get a mielie feeder which is a little battery operated goodie with a plate from which the mielies are scattered,bolt it on a 25l bucket at set it to throw for 5seconds,an hour before dark.Hang this bucket 2m above ground level and so that the mielies thrown,just clear the carcass.You will see that the pigs grout the whole area where the mielies[whole not crushed]fall.Monkeys and porcupines only pick up individual mielies.A 50kg bag is about R220 and will last over a month.Once the pigs are coming in you can sit for them but what i do is now start putting down guavas,about 30 each day for 4-5 days and you will find the pigs coming in from anytime before dark to 2 hours after dark.I have 2 deepfreezes full of guavas which last the year but any sweet fruit would do. SITE.....The less activity the better and obviously you have to bait where there are pigs.Try get your bait placed within 5m of cover and take the prevailing wind into consideration.Your approach route to the bait must be into the wind and also so sited that any moon will shine on the bait area.A pig will leave cover to feed or grout in open lands but seldom before 10 at night,if you have cover nearby or a clearing in the bush they do come onto bait before dark.You will then see that in a space of 1 night that the carcass has been demolished and pieces,sometimes that weigh 50kg have been dragged into the bush.Dont worry about it as the pigs will come into the open to check for mielies ect. BLIND....Elevated blind,at least 4m high using a tree or man made tower,make it big and comfy.I use old wooden beds complete with matrass to deaden sound. This elevated blind can be as close as 5m from the bait and wind is not a factor.Build blind at the same time as you start baiting as sometimes the pigs will relocate their nests to within 50m of a constant food supply and prolonged prescence at bait site will scare them. Ground blind,build using old pallets with a screen of brush in front of you,wind in your favour and shooting distance 15-30m max. METHOD...Anytime from 4 days before till 4 days after full moon will give you enough light to shoot with a scope.Most of the time you will hear the pigs coming in,sit still.Do not move or wriggle,WAIT untill the pigs are feeding before you pick up rifle.If they go quite,so must you.On a full moon pick one and shoot.On a dark night i use a rheostat on a trucks brake light and slowly turn it up untill i can shoot.This light must never be at ground level but at least 3m up.The other method i use is to mount a led Lenser 7 torch onto my scope with a pressure switch.Get black blob of pig in scope swich on light,1 second adjustment and shoot. FIREARM....Any hunting rifle is fine,bearing in mind you sometimes have funny angles and you want to drop the pig on the spot. A fair amount of these pigs go over 100kg. With a shottie,use sg,ssg or lg and do not,i repeat,do not shoot at over 15m. I have shot well over 100 pigs over bait and have just touched on the basics.Feel free to pm me if you want

User

Thanks pre64. I was about to ask the same. Any extra info is welcome.

Thanks for the info. Just one ting ..... I dont want to use any meat or animals to attract the bushpigs. There is a realy big community close by and dont want to attract dogs.

But that gives me an idea i think i have noticed some maggots in the chicken litter that might work.

User

All good....you can subtitute a carcass with offal or guts,just start with at least 50kg.The beauty about a carcass and a mielie feeder is that you can leave it for an extended time without checking. The mielie feeder,i bought from a local gunshop at about R450. Once the carcass is consumed them the mielies will keep the pigs coming back. A couple of my bait sites have been going for almost 8 years now,on and off. I will usually shoot 3 or 4 pigs on a bait site only once a year or so.In places i have seen up to 17 different pigs on a trail cam in one night. Having 3 bait spots on different farms or,depending on terrain,at least 3km apart allows you to rotate shooting without too much pressure on 1 place. Another place i shoot year round is at a chicken farm where all dead chickens are dumped,no baiting from my side. The one farm i hunt on dumps all their offal,guts and rotten veggies in one spot and we also shoot there.....Just be carefull of a wounded pig that gets back into the bush. I go back the next morning,if this happens,and put my jack russel,grumpy,on the track. We normally find the pig dead within 20m but sometimes things can get exiting....Some people may disagree but the meat of a bushpig shot over bait is far superior to that which has been chased by dogs and shot.

User

Rather then ferment mielies to get the strong smell.Dogs will unfortunately come into a carcass or offal.You do however need an initial strong smell to get the pigs started.If you get them started with fermented mielies then they will continue to come in on clean baits. I have not tried chicken litter but if you get maggots on it then it should work.Dogs coming in is a no no.You would maybe also have your blind and feeder stolen?

Thanks for the info. That is the thing i dont want to have a setup that will get stolen. Atleast i know the bushpig is in the area i can see where they have dug and scrached in the wattle compartments.

uploadfromtaptalk1470926782398.jpg the feeding spot is close to that tree line (big trees). I plan to shoot from where the picture was taken (down the row)

User

Following this.

1/2shag do you have access to a trailcam?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hahaha nope. I dont want to use one it will probably get stolen.