Default Ballistic testing: what did the investment yield?

According to Minister Mthethwa, about 109 500 guns were destroyed by SAPS, in the first four months of 2010.
    All these were supposedly ballistically tested, to see if they were used in crime. Another 23 000 are now awaiting ballistic testing, and destruction.
    Add to this the thousands of firearms deactivated, which had to be tested too. This procedure should ensure that no criminal, even though granted amnesty for the illegal possession of a firearm will get away with more serious crimes committed with the firearm.

Could somebody please ask the minister: At the next oppurtunity in parliament, or wherever it is possible:
    1 How many guns did eventually test "positive" for crime?
    2 How many criminals were apprehended, following this trail? (After all they gave their adresses not so?)
    3 How many were successfully convicted?
    4 What did the ballistic testing cost the taxpayer? (Please give us an average cost per firearm.)
    5 How many pending cases, not related to the firearm destruction programme, had to be dropped, because the forensic lab is too far behind schedule.

As a taxpayer, I would like to know if "my" investment actually yielded results. If there were no successful convictions following this procedure, I could perhaps conclude, that the SAPS is squandering a lot of resources, on an exercise that is nothing but a public relations stunt. (A.k.a propaganda or spin).

I am sure the minister cant wait to give us the results!

Willie, truly valid questions, would love to know this myself, doubt if we will ever get an answer, but we have the right to know!

We already know the answer. NONE. and so do they.
    Those answers will never reach the public coz we all know that it all part of the stratergy!

Peace!
    MOLON LABE

User

If any of these firearms were actually tested I'm pretty sure the scenario was as follows: A bullet was test fired and retrieved, evidence bagged and then sent to the warehouse to wait in the queue for analysis in the year dot

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Stick around guys. As per the Public Finances Management Act the departments HAVE to prove return on investment or an adverse order can be made against the persons involved requiring them to personally reimburse the State!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Willie

send this to some of the news papers for publication in the letters sections.

Somewhere on the forum is a list of contact details for different papers.

Willie send this to afriforum and Agri SA they WILL ask these questions

User

I don't believe they tested anything. Taking under consideration how long the tesing takes in the criminal (murder) cases it is unlikely that they even fired all of them. Besides you need at least two projectiles and cases, to COMPARE the one from the scene/victim (evidence) and the one from the known firearm (reference). It looks like a big window dressing to me.
    Marek

Quote Originally Posted by Marekjan View Post
    I don't believe they tested anything. Taking under consideration how long the tesing takes in the criminal (murder) cases it is unlikely that they even fired all of them. Besides you need at least two projectiles and cases, to COMPARE the one from the scene/victim (evidence) and the one from the known firearm (reference). It looks like a big window dressing to me.
    Marek

I AGREE