Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steyr scout

User

Default Re: Steyr scout

Quote Originally Posted by dAyLiTe View Post
    Nice buy !
    Get a 10 round magazine for it, you're going to want it for Precision Rifle Series competition.... ;)
    Now find a decent FFP scope and you're good to go !
    Erm....scout not meant for long range....if you use the front mount scope it is for snap shooting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle

Defining characteristics[edit]

Drawing inspiration from several sources, specifically the Austrian Mannlicher–Schönauer of 1903 and the Winchester Model 1894, Cooper defined several distinguishing characteristics of a scout rifle:

• An unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lb); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 pounds) the maximum acceptable.
    • An overall length of 1 meter (39 inches) or less. These two characteristics place scout rifles into the general class of carbines.
    • A forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2 to 3 power. This preserves the shooter's peripheral vision, keeps the ejection port open to allow the use of stripper clips to reload the rifle, and eliminates any chance of the scope striking one's brow during recoil. Cooper has stated that a telescopic sight is not mandatory.
    • Ghost ring auxiliary iron sights: a rear sight consisting of a receiver-mounted large-aperture thin ring, and typically a square post front sight. This allows the rifle to be accurately aimed at short to medium ranges even if the scope becomes damaged.
    • A "Ching" or "CW" sling. Against common practice, Cooper advocated the use of a sling as a shooting aid. The Ching sling offers the convenience of a carrying strap and the steadiness of a target shooter's sling with the speed of a biathlete's sling. (The CW sling is a simpler version of a Ching sling, consisting of a single strap.)
    • A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62×51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces or for its "slightly better ballistics."[4] As Cooper wrote, "A true Scout comes in .308 or 7mm-08."[5] The .243 Winchester is an alternative for young, small-framed, or recoil-shy people, but needs a 22" barrel. Cooper also commissioned "Lion Scout," chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge.
    • Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 meters/yards (3 shot groups).

These features dictated short, thin barrels, synthetic stocks, and bolt actions. Other optional features included a retractable bipod, detachable magazines, a butt magazine, and an accessory rail for lights and other attachments. The addition of some of these features often render the rifle technically not a scout as originally defined, but this has come to be accepted by many as still conforming to the spirit if not the letter of the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Erm....scout not meant for long range....if you use the front mount scope it is for snap shooting.
    Screw that, it's got a 1:10 twist 308 barrel, full length picatinny rail, and built in bipod.
    That basically put's it above most off the shelf 308 Rem 700's available in SA (bar the AAC-SD).

It'll easily handle the 185gn Berger Juggernaut Tactical's or 175gn Berger OTM Tactical's.
    Sure they'll be 125fps slower than a 24inch barrel, but damn that little rifle is going to be maneuverable and deliver a hell of a punch.

I recon you can get that onto 40cm targets at 750m pretty easily.
    Great little rifle !

User

Thanks guys now I must decide on the scope I don't have a clue on what to get yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedoo View Post
    Thanks guys now I must decide on the scope I don't have a clue on what to get yet
    Had the same dilemma when I got mine.
    I initially got the IER one for it and then was offered a great deal on a VX-3 which I took.
    99% of the time it wears the IER.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedoo View Post
    Really comes down to what you want to do with it.
    Let us know, and we can help.

Strangely enough even the Ruger Precision Rifle thats made for long range shooting comes in a 20" barrel in the 308 version.
    In the other calibers its got longer barrels.

I use to love that rifle about I think 15 years ago, actually still do. At that point they were closer to 10-15.
    But then again we all also earned about 20-25% of our current salaries. lol

User

Hi guys so I collected my scout today licence took just over 2 months

I really like my Ruger GSR and think the scout concept has merit. I liked the IER when plying on the range but hated for hunting. I went back to a standard scope. I think the when Cooper developed the concept the ER was best option but these days there are better options for closer range optic, like an RMR, Aimpoint etc.

The Steyr is awesome and the benefit is that unlike Ruger you can use any optic and retain the BUIS. Ruger failed to retain the versatility in that they set it up so that is was IER and BUIS or regular scope and no BUIS. My project now is to get a rear sight fitted to the barrel.

I wouldlik a Steyr though and they have come down in price recently...

User

I have a Scout Scout rifle, based upon the Model 10 action, in .308, it is light, handy and accurate. I like this rifle, I have it equipped with a Burris 2x7 power Intermediate Eye Relief scope and the rifle comes with a Williams Aperture Sight and Front Sight as a backup. The rifle has a 20-inch barrel and is good in the brush of middle and south Georgia where I hunt whitetail deer. It is also equipped and capable if I want to deer hunt the fields, the variable power scope gives me long range options.

One of the things I like best about this rifle is the huge bolt, making it easier to work the bolt from one's shoulder.

Sportster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2