User

Default Kev's Blue Wildebeest with muzzle loader

My son, Kev and I went to a fantastic farm just outside of Setlagole in the North West province for the week and we were both fortunate and blessed enough to each bag an animal. I shot a magnificent black wildebeest with the 7x64 and Kev managed to get a big Blue wildebeest cow with his 72 Pedersoli double after 4 days of very frustrating walk and stalk hunting.
    We managed to regulate the barrels at 60 meters and it was very hard to stalk to that distance in the bush after the farm had been hunted solidly for 8 weeks. Many times the animals were just too far and were spooked time and again in attempting to get closer. On day 4 Kev hunted by himself in a ghillie suit and managed to get within 50 meters of a wildebeest cow who was standing in a sandy clearing. His shot was also a frontal quartering shot, the 770gr conical entered at the junction of the neck and shoulder and penetrated through the entire wildebeest before stopping at the opposite hip bone, at least 1.2 meters straight line penetration! Kev says she dropped like a rock! We recovered the bullet which was still 86% of the original weight, losing some of the lead on the bones. His second mercy shot, the 545gr round ball hit the cow under her eye, went through the skull and exited out the back of the head. The PH was very impressed by the penetration and absolute lack of meat damage.Excellent result and excellent accuracy.

User

Default Re: Kev's Blue Wildebeest with muzzle loader

Quote Originally Posted by snymancm View Post
    My son, Kev and I went to a fantastic farm just outside of Setlagole in the North West province for the week and we were both fortunate and blessed enough to each bag an animal. I shot a magnificent black wildebeest with the 7x64 and Kev managed to get a big Blue wildebeest cow with his 72 Pedersoli double after 4 days of very frustrating walk and stalk hunting.
    We managed to regulate the barrels at 60 meters and it was very hard to stalk to that distance in the bush after the farm had been hunted solidly for 8 weeks. Many times the animals were just too far and were spooked time and again in attempting to get closer. On day 4 Kev hunted by himself in a ghillie suit and managed to get within 50 meters of a wildebeest cow who was standing in a sandy clearing. His shot was also a frontal quartering shot, the 770gr conical entered at the junction of the neck and shoulder and penetrated through the entire wildebeest before stopping at the opposite hip bone, at least 1.2 meters straight line penetration! Kev says she dropped like a rock! We recovered the bullet which was still 86% of the original weight, losing some of the lead on the bones. His second mercy shot, the 545gr round ball hit the cow under her eye, went through the skull and exited out the back of the head. The PH was very impressed by the penetration and absolute lack of meat damage.Excellent result and excellent accuracy.
    Nice, slow and heavy.

User

Excellent result indeed.

User

Well done to both of you.
    You sons face said it all to me. I told you I can do it by myself.

User

Very nice!

Banned

Congrats!