Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Default Re: A new knife grinder

Von Gruff - loving this thread.....it has gone way past what the thread title suggests!

Your blades are looking really sweet, and I never thought of an anvil as being a thing of beauty.

I have a question (an apologise if you spoke about it in your vid) - what are the round and square holes for on the side of your anvil? Also what is the purpose of the sleeves that you have made for these holes?

Thanks
    Sweet

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Von Gruff - loving this thread.....it has gone way past what the thread title suggests!

Your blades are looking really sweet, and I never thought of an anvil as being a thing of beauty.

I have a question (an apologise if you spoke about it in your vid) - what are the round and square holes for on the side of your anvil? Also what is the purpose of the sleeves that you have made for these holes?

Thanks
    Sweet
    The square hole is a hardy hole and is used with tools having a square base that fits into it and having various top ends. This is a selection of hardy hole tools from hot cut chisels the spring fullers to simple hold down tools http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ls&FORM=HDRSC2

This is one use for the round hole but either one is also used when driving a drift or punch through a bar like when opening up a hammer or axe head for the handle

I made the inserts in case I have or make something with a smaller base than will fit the full sized openings.

No doubt the first things I will be making are a couple of sets of tongs and maybe a couple of hammer heads.

Awesome - thanks for the explanation - I have learnt so much from this thread!

User

Things came together this morning when the regulator arrived and I could get back to the shed. It didn't take long to get things assembled and the forge fired up. I had an old pick that I will never use again so I cut one of the pick arms off so it would fit in the forge to see how long it would take to get to red heat. I turned the vodeo off just before it reached the heat as it is a bit boring but from cold it took about 7 minutes to get to heat so I plunged it into the oil quench tank to bring the oil to temp for quenching the blades I was about to heat treat.
    6 minutes of watching it heat up but for me it was interesting so this is the video

User

I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another order for one and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
    I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.
    I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another order for one and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
    I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.

This was the blades after heat treating anf tempering

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13