Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default A new knife grinder

I have always enjoyed making my own knives and lately it seems I have been doing more than I ever thought I would, with some now going to others, so it started to seem as if my little handyman grinder attachment was not quite up to what may be required of it. I have seen the really nice 72 inch (expensive) grinders that the guys have on the knife makers forums but being somewhat of a do it myself tightwad I wondered if I could cobble something together that would be just as effective.
    Aboiut 40 years ago I bought a little dyco saw bench that I gave to my father when I moved up to a better model and when he died I got it back and having no use for a small saw bench I converted it to a sander.
    The large drive pulley was replaced with a small one and with the two bench top bearings in place, I got a length of shaft and a larger pulley to slow the output down. To mae the drum I got a piece of 3/4 play and cut a circle then a number ofthers with only an inch in from the outer dia to make the drum. It worked very well but it no longer gets much use so decided to use it for the base of the new grrinder.

With the drum off and the top cleared it looks to be a good place to start

User

Default Re: A new knife grinder

In a dedicated effort to save money I decided to make the drive wheel from hardwood as I had some Jarah in the rack.

A 11/16 slice

Through the thicknesser to bring it back to 3/8 and sawn to 4 1/4 in wide then cut into 4 1/4 in lengths

With the pieces laid with the long grain alternating, they were glued up cramped

The thick (and hard) block needed carefull cutting to get a good 4 in circle which will become the drive wheel

I didn't get a pic but a plate was cut and drilled for the 1/2 end on the shaft it will run on and bolted to the drive wheel. It is down at the garrage for the guy to weld the plate to the shaft and turn the drive block to a true to the shaft round and then I can crown it when when it back on the grinder base.

User

I found a really good set of plans that will allow me to make something very close to this one here.\

I got a great deal if information from this web page
    http://dcknives.blogspot.co.nz/p/2-x...t-grinder.html

User

Things will have to sit for a bit as I need to get into the city to pick up some steel and for the other needed wheels and and some 72in belts to arrive.

User

Von Gruff, timing is good, I am currently in a process to build a Knife blade belt sanding machine....I will commence with a new thread in this regard...my grinder will consist off three different fixtures.
    A platen
    A contact wheel of twelve inches
    A small wheel /bearing attachment.

Von Gruff I was asking Gert about tracking but I can see the plan you have. Thanks Gert.

User

After a good look in my shed I found some 2x2 box steel that would work for the main stands and with trip to the garrage for some welding was able to do a mock-up . I have my wheels ordered (along with some belts) and they should be here in a couple of weeks. I will get the 1/4 in steel plate to hold the platen and idler wheels and another piece for the tool rest this afternoon so I should be ready for an initial run when everything arrives.

User

I have a small gas strut to keep the belt tensioned rather than the spring that Gert has used. I got some more steel today with the two tool arms (I will need more for some other set-ups later) and the adjuster arm then a foot of 4x1/4 plate to hold the angle iron platen and the idler wheels and a length of 4x3/8 for the tool rest

I need a few bolts but the tracking adjuster is done

Then I changed the use of an old target stand I made some years back (it is no longer used) and with a little cutting off of various bits and adding some box section short pieces it will make an ideal tool head stand

User

Good Von Gruff, it looks excellent, I did some small pieces of work on mine today. I am focusing on the rest today, some welding work needs to be done...it will be great doing the two belt grinders together...

User

Von Gruff, how long grinding surface are you going to make for your belt grinder? The reason I am asking, I noticed when making a bevel grinding fixture numerous builders mentioned when grinding a bevel to the longer knifes like the Bowies, you need to have a long table rest surface...I really am focusing on building a long , strong tabel/sanding /grinding surface...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast